The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Kbayer View Post
    Yes! It's great to hear I am going about this somewhat right! I do give the heel command with a short, sharp tug (Or a series of these). Is this something she will grow out of eventually?
    It's something she'll 'train' out of. As you continue to be consistent about requiring the behavior you desire she will form the good behavior as a habit, so the need for correction will diminish as she ages and matures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbayer View Post
    I realize she is just a young puppy, but when do you think I could expect her to start listening, or at least aknowledging my presence) in the face of distractions, like other people, animals, and objects?
    In your Sound Beginnings DVD Jackie shows how to treat train for fundamental commands. This isn't formal training. It's really just conditioning, but that's what we do with pups. Don't test; teach. Don't heel on a leash for a day or two, and then try it off leash. People do that all the time, and then wonder why their training falls apart.

At 15 weeks you can be more insistent upon obedience, but be patient. Keep teaching. Keep your pup on leash or a lightweight rope for control. Let me know anytime I can be of help.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I would also recommend the Hillman puppy dvd. I found it very nice, positive approach that shapes a pup's behavior from the get-go and lays a nice foundation for future training no matter whose program you choose to follow. It's not rocket science, but Bill packaged it nicely in an easy to understand format. Merten's video is also good.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Thank you for your advice! Kimber is doing very well. I have been giving the command "No, leave it" along with a pop of the leash when she goes after something. I can tell it is sinking in as sometimes I dont even need much pressure, if any on the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I start teaching them to handle about this time. Just put a bowl at each base and then sit her at the pitchers mound. Run the bases and put your hand in each bowl but only drop a hot dog slice in one of them. When you get back to home plate cast her to the bowl with the treat. If she gets it right she is a happy girl and you can move the bowls out a bit after a few successes. If she doesn't get it right call her over and show her you were right all along. No pressure just fun and games.
    It reinforces the sit means sit thing, encourages her to watch you and builds confidence (for both of you).

Hot Dog trainer regards

Bubba

PS- that might be my first official non_GDG post ever
    This has been a great game-been working out very well! we both enjoy it and Kimber has really caught on fast. do you have any other great ideas for 'games' we could play? I've sent in my first application for a local retriever club, and I will be going to my first field trial on April 12th to check things out! pretty excited. thanks everyone for your help