The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to watch a field trial

Default Going to watch a field trial

got a field trial in my area this weekend and the 11month old CLM is just a bit young to try some of the technical stuff but i figured i'd go and watch. wondering if i should bring him along for the ride? better to leave him at home? i'll be in a 4 runner so he wont have one of those fancy air conditioned boxes he'd either be in the kennel or on leash with me.

basically i'm not familiar with the spectator seats is it a sit at your car in the parking lot deal or a designated area to set up lawn chairs? i dont want him to be a distraction especially if and when those flyers come out. my gut feeling says leave him at home but the wife is going to be out of town too thats why i'm asking.

I would say take him. Pull him out for a little on leash and let him smell around. Hearing the gun shots and smelling other dogs would be great for a young dog. Just my 2 cents.
    HRCH "Kennedy" MH

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    got a field trial in my area this weekend and the 11month old CLM is just a bit young to try some of the technical stuff but i figured i'd go and watch. wondering if i should bring him along for the ride? better to leave him at home? i'll be in a 4 runner so he wont have one of those fancy air conditioned boxes he'd either be in the kennel or on leash with me.

basically i'm not familiar with the spectator seats is it a sit at your car in the parking lot deal or a designated area to set up lawn chairs? i dont want him to be a distraction especially if and when those flyers come out. my gut feeling says leave him at home but the wife is going to be out of town too thats why i'm asking.
    Take a comfortable folding chair, an ice chest with drinks and snacks, sunscreen, and a hat. Leave the dog at home, non-competing dogs should not be conspicuously on the grounds.

My suggestion: Stay in the parking area with the dog (on leash of course) as I'd not advise to take it up to the gallery. Not much to gain and getting bannished to the truck is not a good first experience. Usually best to just leave them in their crate in the vehicle. Enjoy either way. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

Bring a chair to sit in the gallery to watch. Some tests are more gallery friendly than others, but you should be able to view the dog work. You can bring your pup, but leave him in his kennel when you are in the gallery and on a leash and away from competing dogs when you are airing him on the trial grounds.

Park well behind the line with his box facing away from the action so he will not bark. He should be comfortable with the back open. Once you are there, you can see other people have situated their dogs.

Do not be afraid to ask questions. Hopefully, the participants will be happy to help encourage some new blood to the sport.

Russ

You could do like me and my unnamed friend did, enter the derby and wear camo to the line! By doing so I guarantee that you will meet lots of new folks

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (But no free jacket).

Leave the dog at home, enjoy the view in the gallery, ask questions and visit all the stakes if possible or one minor stake derby/qualifying and one major stake best, the Amateur All- age. You will get better responses from the participants , if you are not holding, leashed, or walking around with your dog.
    Earl Dillow

i think i'm gonna leave him at home just so i can focus more on the test. and not be the .001% that had a wild dog run through the test. i just felt bad for leaving him at home in his kennel. i'll have the neighbor come over and let him out to air and play.

the entry express description gives one address but two locations (towns) makes me wonder if they will have some part of test at town A and 5 miles down the road have some part of the test at town B? i'm assuming the physical address they give is the sign in place and then you figure out where you go from there?

i plan on watching the derby. my buddy wants to watch the qual so we'll probably see a bit of both. one guy that i trust and train with on occasion gave me these pointers:

"When you go try to pick out all the factors the judges use to divert a dog from the path of a mark: wind, terrain, water, bird placement, etc"

anyone else got any tips? probably be taking my wifes Nikon and zoom lens so i can remember setups a bit better

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    i think i'm gonna leave him at home just so i can focus more on the test. and not be the .001% that had a wild dog run through the test. i just felt bad for leaving him at home in his kennel. i'll have the neighbor come over and let him out to air and play.

the entry express description gives one address but two locations (towns) makes me wonder if they will have some part of test at town A and 5 miles down the road have some part of the test at town B? i'm assuming the physical address they give is the sign in place and then you figure out where you go from there?

i plan on watching the derby. my buddy wants to watch the qual so we'll probably see a bit of both. one guy that i trust and train with on occasion gave me these pointers:

"When you go try to pick out all the factors the judges use to divert a dog from the path of a mark: wind, terrain, water, bird placement, etc"

anyone else got any tips? probably be taking my wifes Nikon and zoom lens so i can remember setups a bit better
    Yes, don't get in a big discussion with OOSers about Green Timber duck hunting
    Bill Davis

Have fun.

Keep an open mind.

Take business cards and/or something to write on. You may want to take some notes and you may find some contacts worth maintaining.

Also...don't spend all day at just the Qual and the Derby. Go check out the All Ages Stakes a bit while you are there.

Have fun!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"