The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dummy launcher

Default Dummy launcher

Just bought a dummy launcher...how do most of you use this in training? Can you launch it 100 yards into water?
    Last edited by tuckerdutch; 03-18-2013 at 10:51 PM.

I have never been able to get mine to go that far, LOL. We got it to deal with what seemed like a slightly gunshy dog. Worked great for that, the dogs love the launcher! One thing I do with it is "hunt" along brush lines and the edge of trees, pretending to hunt for quail or dove. They quickly learn to sit when I get ready to fire it, and must be steady in order to make the retrieve. Since I train alone, I often sit the dogs, walk away, then use the launcher to add more distance. I usually have more than one dog with me, so it's a good steadiness drill. And yes, it's a good way to do marks in the water longer than one can throw.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

I like the idea of "hunting" with it...thanks.

I don't know who makes them, but the bumpers that are made of foam and about the size of a softball will go a long way with a purple blank. It'd probably be terrible to shoot though.

I have some old ones made by a company called Little Launcher, long out of business. They added a launcher tube to a .22 pistol that had oversized grips. The purple loads weren't fun to shoot but possible. A friend has a .22 rifle with a launcher barrel added.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    I have never been able to get mine to go that far, LOL. We got it to deal with what seemed like a slightly gunshy dog. Worked great for that, the dogs love the launcher! One thing I do with it is "hunt" along brush lines and the edge of trees, pretending to hunt for quail or dove. They quickly learn to sit when I get ready to fire it, and must be steady in order to make the retrieve. Since I train alone, I often sit the dogs, walk away, then use the launcher to add more distance. I usually have more than one dog with me, so it's a good steadiness drill. And yes, it's a good way to do marks in the water longer than one can throw.
    I like your style!

Default Dummy Launcher

retriever_trainer.jpg

John,

Are the .22 pistol launchers available anywhere? Thanks

Not that I know of. I don't think anybody is making them.

I have an old one and there are probably others with an old one laying around somewhere.
    John Lash

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

that looks like a home made pistol launcher, I have one of those little launchers, and i love it, guy was gone shortly after I bought mine, I wouldnt be surprised if some CA law put him out of business.nef 002.jpg

Those were before all the gun laws. I don't know if they sold them with a pistol or not. There'd probably be a problem now.

I ordered it from California. I think it was $60 but it might have been $100. Came with 2 bumpers I think. I bought their oversize wood grips too. Worked good. I added it to a nickel plated H&R. I still have it but haven't used it in years.

You could buy modified H&R .32 cal that were converted to shoot primers. They put a brass rod in the barrel, cut the cylinder short, glued bushings in to accept primers and shipped them out. Those still work too.
    John Lash

I think I paid 175 for mine , had to go thru an ffl dealer to get it, because of the pistol frame.
    there are a few around, have never seen one for sale