The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New Member/ New Puppy

Default New Member/ New Puppy

I have been reading for a while before I got my new puppy and now I am constantly on here looking up new things. It's gets addicting! I figured I'd introduce myself and my puppy. He is out of Gator Points Chopper. I know there is a thread going on about him right now. I had a great experience with Yvonne and Steve and I can already see many qualities of chopper coming out of my 12 week old puppy. He is a loving boy that wants to please. I have watched smart works puppy video and have Jackie Mertens on the way. He is doing great on obedience. He is a little picky about what he wants to retrieve but I'm just letting him be a puppy. I can't wait for the weather to warm a bit and get him swimming. Thanks for all the help you all have already given me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that second pic is just so cute!!!!
    Welcome to the RTF.
    what is his name?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Congratulations! Cute pup! Try to get him a bird or two; start with wings, and work up as you saw on the Smartwork Puppy Program DVD. Let me know anytime I can be of help!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Great looking pup! I can't believe those little guys can turn into big hardy hunting machines!
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

Cute pup! Can never have too many chocolates around here!

His name is Choppers Cajun Royal Blue "Prince". Evan, I have thrown some bird wings and a few puppy dummies. He will retrieve one type of dummy every time but is finicky about others. He goes nuts over bird wings. However as soon as he gets his mouth on it he wants to eat it. Any advice?

Yes. Freeze a couple dead pigeons and start him on those ASAP. Don't worry if he doesn't handle them right yet. That will come. But it's very hard for a little pup to abuse a frozen bird. If you have the SmartFetch DVD it shows the best way to prepare and freeze birds.

Evan
    Last edited by Evan; 03-19-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

That's a cute looking brown dog. Best of luck to both of you.

I tried to pm Evan but I don't have enough posts. Anyone know where I can get some frozen pigeons or will I have to find them local?

Great looking pup. RTF is a great resource to use, everyone is very willing and knowledgable when you need assistance.