The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New to Game

Default New to Game

Hello,

I'm new here and didn't see anywhere to introduce myself. I live in NW Arkansas. I am currently reading a great book that many of you have probably read (WaterDog). I have found a breeder here in Arkansas to go with. I have been educating myself on the field trail, hunting and shed world (LABS) and will have a new pup in the future. Pending getting my kennel built. Looking forward to learning all that I can prior to getting my pup. Also look forward to meeting new friends and listen and learn to what all of you have been doing. Guidance and direction is what I am hoping for.

Thanks,
    Rocky

Is that 'Bama and sheds as in the old Groucho Marx line about hunting elephants in Alabama where tusks (are) looser?

You want to put "the great book" you've got aside as many of us did long ago and pick up a much more helpful and instructive book along with a well spelled-out "manual" for advanced training.

And welcome to the game in getting yourself a retriever pup.

MG

PS Teaching moment: Groucho's famous comment about "sheds" and Tuscaloosa was from - where else? -

"Animal Crackers" of course.

MG

I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk. You're welcome here and we are very happy to have you. Do yourSELF a favor and ditch that book. Do some research on here and pick another program. I'm telling you what I wish someone had told me years ago! Welcome again to RTF.

Sorry I didn't ask sooner. We expecting the arrival of our son soon. Doctor was supposed to induce but he didn't. Any how, why should I stop reading WaterDog and reading something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Roux View Post
    Any how, why should I stop reading WaterDog and reading something else?
    Hard to answer... I started with the Wolters books years ago. They were a good introduction for a total novice trainer that was only informally training hunting dogs.

I started the Hunt Test game less than two years ago with a brand new pup. I learned that the best way to learn this "stuff" was to join a local club, volunteer to do all the least attractive jobs at tests and training days (run wingers, bird boy, etc.) and watch what the big boys did. After awhile you start getting advice and if very lucky even get a mentor.

I don't mean to start a discussion regarding the best books or videos. "Best" is subjective. A pro turned me on to Evan Graham's books and videos. I learned a lot but everything you get from media is only foundational. You still have to run the tests and accumulate experience.

Congratulations on the baby and welcome to the Labrador Retriever world. Both are life changing.

Wolters book is a good book to read. However the training methods are archaic. There is much better material available today. For the best path to success in training your dog, finding a retriever club and meeting experienced trainers will get you further than anything. Have fun with your pup....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Wolters book is a good book to read. However the training methods are archaic. There is much better material available today. For the best path to success in training your dog, finding a retriever club and meeting experienced trainers will get you further than anything. Have fun with your pup....

/Paul

This sounds like very good advice.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

There's a guy handled Bubba that posts here occasionally - he's the person you want to get your training advice from .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Cool thanks for expounding on the WHY. I'll finish the book since I'm about there now. My education has just begun. I work shift work with mon/tues off. Not sure if there any clubs in my part of Arkansas.