The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QUADS IN HTs (Master)

Default QUADS IN HTs (Master)

My buddy said there was a quad, with a double blind in one series at the last HT he ran. How common is that. ?

Very uncommon since a judge has to take into consideration - time restraints, property and number of workers available. Puts a great strain on club. Cost of more poppers and workers are something that should be considered and birds available.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Eh, not very common, but I see them one a year or so. I love them, it really gets handlers panties in a wad and for the most part the dogs could care less. I have only set one up once and it was actually a delayed quad. The gallery was bitching up a storm, but only a very few dogs failed to pass it.
    As mentioned above it is not something you will often see in a large field of dogs because it takes up too much time. The one I set up only had 25 or so dogs and we had plenty of time.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I wonder if delayed quads will be more common because of the recent rule change:

The definition of ‘triple marks’ clarified to read, “three (3) birds (falls) must be presented before a dog is sent to retrieve either a mark or blind
    A delayed triple is technically only a double ... and the rules require a triple in at least two marking situations.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by T-Pines View Post
    I wonder if delayed quads will be more common because of the recent rule change:

A delayed triple is technically only a double ... and the rules require a triple in at least two marking situations.

Jim
    One triple is required. Not two.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I based my comment on:

http://classic.akc.org/pdfs/events/h...ns_Nov2011.pdf

Excerpt:

9. CHAPTER 5, SECTION 6. Master Hunting Test. Dogs shall be tested in a minimum of five hunting
    situations as follows: multiple land marks, multiple water marks, multiple marks on water and land, a land
    blind and a water blind (at least one that shall be a double blind in any combination). There shall be at
    least three series. At least one of the series shall include a walk-up. Diversion birds and/or diversion shots
    such as described in Chapter 3, Section 24, must be used at least once. In Master tests, in at least two
    multiple marking situations the dog’s marking/memory will be tested with at least three (3) falls, before
    the dogs is sent to retrieve. During a double set of marks (2 falls) Master judges shall include additional
    elements of testing i.e. walkup, diversion bird, diversion shot, blind/s etc. in testing the dog’s abilities.

This change increases the testing requirements for Master dogs by specifying that they shall complete two
    triple marks (previously one) and that an additional testing element shall be included during a double mark

T-Pines

These are the new rules?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

There really is no reason to throw a quad in a HT. The only times I've seen this is.
    One, the judges don't have any idea of concept marking and are trying to be creative.
    Two, there's a large field of dogs and judges are trying to drop dogs in the first series.
    Three, judges are trying to make a name for themself (John Wayne) BS.

These judges would make my judges list.
    Last edited by Golden Boy; 03-19-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    T-Pines

These are the new rules?
    George,

My understanding is that there were changes:

These have already been discussed in many threads ... there's nothing new here about changes to AKC HT rules.

On topic of the OP, I just wondered out loud if the most recent changes could lead to us seeing more delayed quads in Master tests?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Two

These came out as rule changes on dates listed above. Letters sent to all clubs.
    Tom Dorroh