The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: QUADS IN HTs (Master)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    I ran a HT a couple of years ago where they had a qaud on the water in the last series with 40 dogs and we only had around 4 or 5 hours of daylight left. It was swimming water with some heavy cover, two of the marks were fairly long and it took about 20 minutes per dog for the first 5 dogs to run it and only 1 passed. The HT comity told the judges they had to change the test because there wasn't enough time to get it done that day and the couldn't run on Monday. So they shortened up the longest mark which was giving the dogs the most trouble and they ended up getting done right at dark. They didn't have time to rerun the first 4 dogs that failed so they just went ahead and passed them.
    ...didn't know you could do that.

"When a series is discontinued after one or more dogs
    have run, the Judges shall exercise care to locate the new
    series in an area different from that which the original series was held. By doing so, they can fairly re-evaluate the abilities of the dog or dogs that have already run in the
    area used for the discontinued hunting situation."
    Last edited by Thomas D; 03-19-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    Tom Dorroh

Brokengunz, could your buddy have mistaken a triple with a bulldog as a quad? I've seen that setup several times.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Here in my neck of the woods we are blessed with private grounds, Ample help due to hunt tests and field trials put on by the same clubs. Workers, gunners, cross help etc for work hours. I judge hunt tests and on land have done quads , double blinds on most Master tests we have judged. I have also run a number of Master tests with Quads.
    My experience has been mostly with Wisconsin clubs. Never have seen much of a issue. Four birds in a hunt test or field trial without many factors could be a waste of time. However, when told by the chairman we have lots of help we aren't going to have three or four people taking birds off the line!
    Earl Dillow

I wasnt there, this is the description I got from him, might not have been a true guad. it was held on the grounds they did the MN a couple of years ago, nice grounds.

As a point of interest, the judges are now putting up to 4 marks and 2 blinds in a series, so be aware if you have not seen this yet.
    The first hunt test, we got call backs to the last series....that was an all water test. Three tough marks at distances to 130 yards and a 160 yard blind with about 140 yards of swimming water, up a slight hill, to a levee with the duck planted on the down side of the levee.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post

"When a series is discontinued after one or more dogs
    have run, the Judges shall exercise care to locate the new
    series in an area different from that which the original series was held. By doing so, they can fairly re-evaluate the abilities of the dog or dogs that have already run in the
    area used for the discontinued hunting situation."
    Moving the mark screwed up one of the dogs that swam by it and got caught in the scent of where the mark had been before. It kept swimming around in the heavy weeds looking for the bird and was getting really tired so it had to be handled to the bird and was failed because of having a handle on the previous series. That was the craziest test I have ever run ever series had something controversial in it.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Quote Originally Posted by T-Pines View Post
    George,

My understanding is that there were changes:

These have already been discussed in many threads ... there's nothing new here about changes to AKC HT rules.

On topic of the OP, I just wondered out loud if the most recent changes could lead to us seeing more delayed quads in Master tests?

Jim
    If the first change was made effective at the beginning of 2012, why isn't it in here?
    http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RHTRET.pdf

I have run a few Master test that have done a double-double. I think it really test the dogs memory. No blinds were done after picking up the double double.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    You can't according to the rules. His comment about moving the test is in regards to not penalizing the dogs that have already run, pass or not, the discontinued test when they run the test again. In short, the judges simply gave the ribbons away.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    You can't according to the rules. His comment about moving the test is in regards to not penalizing the dogs that have already run, pass or not, the discontinued test when they run the test again. In short, the judges simply gave the ribbons away.
    I think the HT committee told them to do what you needed to to do to get this test run before it gets dark because your not running tomorrow. They were also very limited on water.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    If the first change was made effective at the beginning of 2012, why isn't it in here?
    The people who run the printing plant aren't the ones that run the performance dept. <shrug> Often they print so many copies of a book that they need to publish an addendum before they can afford to print the entire book.

The letter was valid and we've discussed it here. I've also gone to an advanced seminar with Jerry and this was covered as well....two triples are required.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge