The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: QUADS IN HTs (Master)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    I think the HT committee told them to do ....
    That was my point. The HT committee isn't empowered to make this kind of decision if it nullifies the requirements of the testing program. To pass the test, those dogs should have been re-run. As it stands, they failed the test but got ribbons anyway.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    That was my point. The HT committee isn't empowered to make this kind of decision if it nullifies the requirements of the testing program. To pass the test, those dogs should have been re-run. As it stands, they failed the test but got ribbons anyway.
    Not rerunning those dogs was the least of the problems and rules broken at that test. Like I said it was the craziest test I've ever seen as far as the way they judged it and some of the setups. The HT committee had their hands full dealing with them and had even threatened to replace them.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

"The Hunting Test Committee and Hunting Test
    Secretary shall be held responsible for compliance with all
    of the applicable Rules and Regulations for Hunting Tests,
    except those coming under the sole jurisdiction of the
    Judges, and must provide themselves with copies of the
    latest editions of these books."

It is ultimately the HT committe that is responsible for all requirements being met. If the requirements are not met and qualifications are given, AKC gets involved and no one wants that.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Brokengunz View Post
    I wasnt there, this is the description I got from him, might not have been a true guad. it was held on the grounds they did the MN a couple of years ago, nice grounds.

As a point of interest, the judges are now putting up to 4 marks and 2 blinds in a series, so be aware if you have not seen this yet.
    The first hunt test, we got call backs to the last series....that was an all water test. Three tough marks at distances to 130 yards and a 160 yard blind with about 140 yards of swimming water, up a slight hill, to a levee with the duck planted on the down side of the levee.
    I was there. It was a double master over four days, with each stake split into two (A and B), so we had four first series in all. Of those four first series, three were walk-up quads (not triples with bulldogs, nor delayed in any way). One had a double blind and the others had a single blind. Blinds were run after the marks in all three. One of the quads had a mama-papa station manned by one person. These quads were challenging tests (especially with out-of-order flyers and/or flyers deep behind shorter birds) and fun to run. The judges I ran under were very fair in their callbacks and were looking to carry, not drop dogs, from what I could tell. This club appeared to have plenty of help and pulled off this 4-day hunt test extremely well! They will be hosting the Master National on the same grounds in 2014 and I have faith they will do an excellent job!

Interesting that the replies were all from "not" CA.. I was there too,and was one of the judges team that did NOT set up a quad in any of our three series. We got plenty of answers with our well placed triples, particularly in the 1st and 2nd series. Well placed marks can test a master dog's marking without complicating it with a fourth bird. The Master I ran on the 2nd test( i judged the first two days and ran the second event), had a quad. Walkup bird 1, Momma/Poppa bird left throw 2, out of order flyer 3(long.... I guess at about 150 or more, and fully retired, with nothing to mark off of), then momma/poppa bird right throw. 4th.. Of the first 15 dogs ran, nobody did the test without at least one handle. Beyond that , I didnt watch as I had dogs in other stakes to run..
    My concern is that the tests this weekend, will be a model for other judges and we will see more quads. I hope that a Quad is not the new Triple.....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

1st Quad at a HT was the 2010 MNRC in California. My dog, golden, was #1 for that series. He nailed it. Fourth gunner was a bubba gunner sitting in front of the line but the bird was released behind the line. Guess we know what to expect in 2014.
    Rex Gibson
    Katy, Texas
    Brazosport Retriever Club
    Greater Houston Golden Retriever Club

Quote Originally Posted by RexG View Post
    1st Quad at a HT was the 2010 MNRC in California. My dog, golden, was #1 for that series. He nailed it. Fourth gunner was a bubba gunner sitting in front of the line but the bird was released behind the line. Guess we know what to expect in 2014.
    I believe they ran quads in HT's before the 2010 MN. Or did you mean your first quad at a HT was the 2010 MN?
    Last edited by Scott Parker; 03-19-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    I believe they ran quads in HT's before the 2010 MN. Or did you mean your first quad at a HT was the 2010 MN?

Must be the latter. I ran one in 1994, and several since.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

The only Master I ever ran ended up a quad. Started as a triple land & water when the AKC rep stepped in and said that multiple land and water meant multiple land & multiple water, so a quad it became. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

Quote Originally Posted by HarryWilliams View Post
    The only Master I ever ran ended up a quad. Started as a triple land & water when the AKC rep stepped in and said that multiple land and water meant multiple land & multiple water, so a quad it became. HPW
    How long did that AKC rep keep his job?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013