The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smallest dog you've trained

I have seen a lot of adult female labs in the low 40 lb range. Only problem I have seen is with retrieving large Canada's, no problems with ducks or snows.

My females avg. around 50 lbs. in "fighting weight". Doubt I'll ever apply for a swan tag, so they're more than capable of picking up anything I send them for. They also fit comfortably in the recliner!

I trained a BLF that was prob 30-40 pounds. She had her JH at 10 months. Fast little bugger and duck hunting maniac. Lives up in Beaverton and picks up 100+ birds a year for her owner. One time at the Rogue Valley HT, Bryant and Cindy Meyers judging, I sent her for the flyer and when she came hauling ass back to me with the bird I tapped my chest and she jumped up and I caught her, took the bird and handed it to Cindy and slung her over my shoulder. Was a game we played at home. Bryant kinda stuttered and stammered "you can't do that" to which I replied what, "love my dog." Ice Angel was a lot of fun to train.

Got to keep it fun....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

My female is 53 pds, very short, compact and stocky...I am running her in the Q and because of her size, the only thing I worry about is her having trouble seeing the guns or the birds. So far it has not been a problem but I worry about this becoming an issue in the AA stakes. Is anyone had a problem with this?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    I trained a BLF that was prob 30-40 pounds. She had her JH at 10 months. Fast little bugger and duck hunting maniac. Lives up in Beaverton and picks up 100+ birds a year for her owner. One time at the Rogue Valley HT, Bryant and Cindy Meyers judging, I sent her for the flyer and when she came hauling ass back to me with the bird I tapped my chest and she jumped up and I caught her, took the bird and handed it to Cindy and slung her over my shoulder. Was a game we played at home. Bryant kinda stuttered and stammered "you can't do that" to which I replied what, "love my dog." Ice Angel was a lot of fun to train.

Got to keep it fun....

/Paul
    LOL! That's a good one. I would have loved to see that.
    Tracy Hughes - Crimson Kennels
    www.crimsonkennels.com

Jessica's Chocolate Cait, MH
    Mosby's Big Jake, MH
    Tubby's Maxximum Trouble, MH
    Double G Cosmo's Dream Girl, MH
    Crimson's Coriander Dream, MH
    Johnson's Redwind, MH
    Crimson's TNT By Design, MH
    Crimson's Black Powder Girl, MH

My 8yo female is about 48 lbs. Lots of go and we've got AA points but honestly she's at a disadvantage with cover, line of sight, etc... and I think judges don't normally think of much smaller labs when setting up tests. It's not a beef against anyone so please don't anyone take offense. It's merely a by product of her size. She is an anomaly. I don't think I'd like a smaller lab again as it is simply very hard on her physically to keep up with the "big boys". I'm sensitive to it when I set up tests but most people laugh at me when I'm on my belly looking at marks and/or blinds to get a birdseye view from that vantage point.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

I've got a little fire breather that soaking wet I hope will be 48lbs. You can't touch her determination, speed and personality. There is a market for folks looking for hunting labs that are small in structure. Ever get in a small boat with a 80lb dog, better have good obedience.

By way the all time high point derby dog who is also CFC and CAFC and 1/2 point from AFC is only 47lbs. Dynamite comes in small packages
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Quote Originally Posted by John Montenieri View Post
    My 8yo female is about 48 lbs. Lots of go and we've got AA points but honestly she's at a disadvantage with cover, line of sight, etc... and I think judges don't normally think of much smaller labs when setting up tests. It's not a beef against anyone so please don't anyone take offense. It's merely a by product of her size. She is an anomaly. I don't think I'd like a smaller lab again as it is simply very hard on her physically to keep up with the "big boys". I'm sensitive to it when I set up tests but most people laugh at me when I'm on my belly looking at marks and/or blinds to get a birdseye view from that vantage point.
    Same could be said for vertically challenged handlers! I don't think Riot is gonna be as big as Bullet to compensate for the height difference...
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I had a full grown lab bitch that was 42 lb as I recall, and what a nice dog. I have a personal dog bred 1 generation in the US out of English lines that, at her optimum weight is 48 lb also.
    Darrin Greene

48 lbs 19 inches at the shoulder became FC/AFC Morgan Le Fae of Buckshot sold with Derby Points and Qual placements to Win Purtel as a 16 month old. Trained by Mike Lardy for all-age and retired with Mike Lardy. Last count about 170 all-age points , Open and Amateur. I sold her because I thought she was too small for All-Age work. Boy was I wrong!
    Earl Dillow