RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Smallest dog you've trained

8K views 41 replies 34 participants last post by  Suzanne Burr 
#1 ·
I've got a pup that just turned 4 months old the 11th of this month. She is just a little over 20 lbs. so small that you just about can't do anything with her it seems. What's the smallest you've seen?

#4 ·
9 pounds. Of course it was my wife's Yorkie!:D

Evan

#7 ·
OB trained yorkie, did the leash work on the dining room table, so I did not fling him across the room, then went on to CC him. He did well

#9 ·
That seems really small for a Lab. Typically double the weight of 4 months to get adult weight, though that isn't hard and fast, 20 lbs, is small. Smallest one I have is 50 lbs and I think she's too small, for me personally and not because she can't do the work, she certainly can and does. I just don't like really small Labs, if I liked little dogs, I'd choose another breed. I've seen a couple 40-45 pounder adult Labs, they look like puppies.

#10 ·
My smallest is about 50 as well other than this pup. I prefer 70 lbs and up but I guess I'll have to get used to it. She's a ford pup so what she lacks in size she makes up for in drive, lol. I'm holding out hope she hits 50 lbs.

#13 ·
I trained a BLF that was prob 30-40 pounds. She had her JH at 10 months. Fast little bugger and duck hunting maniac. Lives up in Beaverton and picks up 100+ birds a year for her owner. One time at the Rogue Valley HT, Bryant and Cindy Meyers judging, I sent her for the flyer and when she came hauling ass back to me with the bird I tapped my chest and she jumped up and I caught her, took the bird and handed it to Cindy and slung her over my shoulder. Was a game we played at home. Bryant kinda stuttered and stammered "you can't do that" to which I replied what, "love my dog." Ice Angel was a lot of fun to train.

Got to keep it fun....

/Paul

#15 ·
LOL! That's a good one. I would have loved to see that.

#14 ·
My female is 53 pds, very short, compact and stocky...I am running her in the Q and because of her size, the only thing I worry about is her having trouble seeing the guns or the birds. So far it has not been a problem but I worry about this becoming an issue in the AA stakes. Is anyone had a problem with this?

Jason

#16 ·
My 8yo female is about 48 lbs. Lots of go and we've got AA points but honestly she's at a disadvantage with cover, line of sight, etc... and I think judges don't normally think of much smaller labs when setting up tests. It's not a beef against anyone so please don't anyone take offense. It's merely a by product of her size. She is an anomaly. I don't think I'd like a smaller lab again as it is simply very hard on her physically to keep up with the "big boys". I'm sensitive to it when I set up tests but most people laugh at me when I'm on my belly looking at marks and/or blinds to get a birdseye view from that vantage point.

#18 ·
My 8yo female is about 48 lbs. Lots of go and we've got AA points but honestly she's at a disadvantage with cover, line of sight, etc... and I think judges don't normally think of much smaller labs when setting up tests. It's not a beef against anyone so please don't anyone take offense. It's merely a by product of her size. She is an anomaly. I don't think I'd like a smaller lab again as it is simply very hard on her physically to keep up with the "big boys". I'm sensitive to it when I set up tests but most people laugh at me when I'm on my belly looking at marks and/or blinds to get a birdseye view from that vantage point.
Same could be said for vertically challenged handlers! ;) I don't think Riot is gonna be as big as Bullet to compensate for the height difference...

#17 ·
I've got a little fire breather that soaking wet I hope will be 48lbs. You can't touch her determination, speed and personality. There is a market for folks looking for hunting labs that are small in structure. Ever get in a small boat with a 80lb dog, better have good obedience.

By way the all time high point derby dog who is also CFC and CAFC and 1/2 point from AFC is only 47lbs. Dynamite comes in small packages:)

#20 ·
48 lbs 19 inches at the shoulder became FC/AFC Morgan Le Fae of Buckshot sold with Derby Points and Qual placements to Win Purtel as a 16 month old. Trained by Mike Lardy for all-age and retired with Mike Lardy. Last count about 170 all-age points , Open and Amateur. I sold her because I thought she was too small for All-Age work. Boy was I wrong!

#25 ·
I grew up with a Cairn Terrier. Taught it to go underground and flush out mountain beaver so our husky-mix could chase them down and dispatch the little hole makers. Once they learned the game, they'd be out in the back woods barking and killing for hours. Tough little dog. It started catching them in the holes before they flushed and packing them back to the garage for safe keeping. Mom didn't care for the retrieve part of the game. Only ones that came back to the garage where live trophies.

I'll have another one some day. Smart dog that loved to learn games and tricks.

#31 ·
With all due respect you would never make a living guessing dog weights at a carnival. She weighed much closer to 60 lbs than to 40 lbs. As previously mentioned by Marvin, Jay Walker's Boots was an honest 37 pounder.

#29 ·
My black girl Pearl is 2.5 years old and hovers at 50 lbs...out of bench Lab bloodlines, but has the drive of any FC. Awesome little gal, loves the game and crazy for her birds and like someone else mentioned, just the right size for the recliner!

#30 ·
NC Dolobran's Smoketail was I am told, quite small. The smallest competitive dog I have seen is FC-AFC Ern-Bar's Twinkle Boots - 37 lbs. I believe she threw a couple of good pups when mated to Super Chief.

#32 ·
I did not train either of these dogs, but FC AFC Nakai Anny (Tom Quinn) and FC AFC Misty Morning Teal (George Wilson), but both of these dogs were quite small and what made them seem smaller was that both of their owner/handlers were tall gentlemen..I even asked each owner if they thought it was a disadvantage because of their dog's smallish size but neither looked at it that way, both dogs were pinpont markers, and both gals had big hearts and no quit

#35 ·
There was a dog running trials for awhile that weighed around 36 pounds. It was a Lab female. Good dog, the owner got out of trials though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.