Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smallest dog you've trained

I have 3 females that are 37 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
    I have 3 females that are 37 lbs.
    total??????
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by John Montenieri View Post
    My 8yo female is about 48 lbs. Lots of go and we've got AA points but honestly she's at a disadvantage with cover, line of sight, etc... and I think judges don't normally think of much smaller labs when setting up tests. It's not a beef against anyone so please don't anyone take offense. It's merely a by product of her size. She is an anomaly. I don't think I'd like a smaller lab again as it is simply very hard on her physically to keep up with the "big boys". I'm sensitive to it when I set up tests but most people laugh at me when I'm on my belly looking at marks and/or blinds to get a birdseye view from that vantage point.
    Well, you certainly fixed that size issue with Ketch. I agree, I find even in HT where there are smaller breeds, the height at the line can be an issue with seeing marks, and losing the smaller dogs easier in cover & terrain. Smaller dogs have their advantages too, but I just prefer a taller one to run.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Well, you certainly fixed that size issue with Ketch. I agree, I find even in HT where there are smaller breeds, the height at the line can be an issue with seeing marks, and losing the smaller dogs easier in cover & terrain. Smaller dogs have their advantages too, but I just prefer a taller one to run.
    Well Ketch is a small horse stuffed inside a labrador's body...just saying....sounds like one too when he is hauling butt toward the mark you just threw, good thing he marks them cause I'd be afraid of being overran by the hoss!!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:

MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I grew up with a Cairn Terrier. Taught it to go underground and flush out mountain beaver so our husky-mix could chase them down and dispatch the little hole makers. Once they learned the game, they'd be out in the back woods barking and killing for hours. Tough little dog. It started catching them in the holes before they flushed and packing them back to the garage for safe keeping. Mom didn't care for the retrieve part of the game. Only ones that came back to the garage where live trophies.

I'll have another one some day. Smart dog that loved to learn games and tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    total??????
    Not.total! LOL. I have 3 different females, all gull grown and in great shape that range about 37 lbs. They aren't related. Labradors.

I remember watching NFC Risky Business Ruby, I doubt she weighed much over 40 lbs.
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Well Ketch is a small horse stuffed inside a labrador's body...just saying....sounds like one too when he is hauling butt toward the mark you just threw, good thing he marks them cause I'd be afraid of being overran by the hoss!!
    Funny you should mention that. He was out in the back forty yesterday doing his business and when he was done I called him and whoa nelly, here comes the freight train, jumps onto the back porch and slides into the back door. I'm worried that he'll knock the house off the foundation.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

My black girl Pearl is 2.5 years old and hovers at 50 lbs...out of bench Lab bloodlines, but has the drive of any FC. Awesome little gal, loves the game and crazy for her birds and like someone else mentioned, just the right size for the recliner!
    My Girls...
    Duckback's Lord Have Mercy, MH 8/07
    Duckback Armbrook's Indigo Pearl, SH 10/10

NC Dolobran's Smoketail was I am told, quite small. The smallest competitive dog I have seen is FC-AFC Ern-Bar's Twinkle Boots - 37 lbs. I believe she threw a couple of good pups when mated to Super Chief.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!