The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Smallest dog you've trained

Quote Originally Posted by DSemple View Post
    I remember watching NFC Risky Business Ruby, I doubt she weighed much over 40 lbs.
    With all due respect you would never make a living guessing dog weights at a carnival. She weighed much closer to 60 lbs than to 40 lbs. As previously mentioned by Marvin, Jay Walker's Boots was an honest 37 pounder.

I did not train either of these dogs, but FC AFC Nakai Anny (Tom Quinn) and FC AFC Misty Morning Teal (George Wilson), but both of these dogs were quite small and what made them seem smaller was that both of their owner/handlers were tall gentlemen..I even asked each owner if they thought it was a disadvantage because of their dog's smallish size but neither looked at it that way, both dogs were pinpont markers, and both gals had big hearts and no quit
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    9 pounds. Of course it was my wife's Yorkie!

Evan
    evan if you pottie trained a yorkie i want the video........ooooh what was that i just stepped in?
    john mccallie

My 6 month old BLF out of Texas Troubador, weighed in at 38 pds last week. I hope she gets to 50 pds, but after reading the above posts about these great small dogs i'm not as worried.

There was a dog running trials for awhile that weighed around 36 pounds. It was a Lab female. Good dog, the owner got out of trials though.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

The high point open dog, which was a female, a couple years ago only weighs about 50 pounds wet.

Don't know how much my little female black dog weighs but it ain't much over 40. She's 11 months old and is a wild girl that loves to work and run. Been a joy to train and sees the birds exceptionally well in spite of her size.

My golden weighs 58 pounds, but is short-legged, a bit less than 20" at the shoulder. I am an extremely novice handler. In a Junior run last year, in the second water mark, I did not see her head follow the mark until the splash. Which was when I realized I had positioned Miss Shorty so she couldn't see over the tall grass between us and the gunner. Lesson learned. Gotta pay attention to what the dog can see, especially the short dogs. (It was a short Junior mark. She swam in the direction of the splash until she saw the bird and got her pass, but it could have cost us a pass at the higher levels.)
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

SR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus the "old ladies" (2 elderly mix-breed rescue girls)

I had one that when training fulltime weighed in at a whoppin 43lbs. She was sired by cosmo and had a whole lot of fire in her.

Jackson.JPGHere is "Downtown Jackson Brown", the only small dog I have ever owned. 6.3 #, a retrieving fool, loves doves, ducks, and pigeons! Although I waould not say he is "Steady to Shot". At the sound of the gun he thinks his job is find the first critter to hit the ground and shake vigorously until all feathers or hair are gone!