The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should a FT Pro own a dog on his truck?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 54.25%
  • NO

97 45.75%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a FT pro OWN a dog on his truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Rozas
    Joe wrote:

A Pro's job is train the dog to the best of his/her ability. Period. Nothing more, nothing less
    I could not disagree with you more on this Joe. We are discussing a competative FT pro active on the circuit. How many of these clients pay him only to go a series or two? Or just to get 2 out of the 3 birds?

Clients want to win. If they are smart, they know they will not win every weekend - but at some point they want that call on Sunday night.

What you say is true of a gundog pro or a HT pro. But for a FT pro - its a different animal.
    Logically, it can't be true.

How can someone logically justify paying someone 12K - 15K a year to win a sport when 99% of the entrants are, by definition, losers!!!

You a pay a Pro to train a dog to the best of their ability IN HOPES they are good enough to win...those that win more often get more/better dogs = more cash flow. Which gives them more experience. Which gives them more chances.

I wouldn't send a dog to Mr. Farmer expecting him to win with the dog. I'd expect him to do the best he can with raw material I've provided to him. He has experience. (I'd pay for that.) He has knowledge of the task to be completed. (I'd pay for that.) He also has the experience and the knowledge to know if the dog, when trained to the best of his ability, is capable of winning an event. I'm damn sure paying for that.

I'm not paying him to win. I'm paying him to do the best he can. If he can't win with what I've provided him, then I'll provide him with some better raw materials.

Powerful Slicing Cross-Court Backhand Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Joe,

With waiting lists of new clients and with old established clients getting new pups - How long do you think a dog that does not win will last on Danny's truck? Mike's truck?

Patton rode on Mike's truck for a long time before the wins came, but a lot of people knew it was possible.
    "You can train your dog any way ya want. It ain't my dog. "

Joe,

With waiting lists of new clients and with old established clients getting new pups - How long do you think a dog that does not win will last on Danny's truck? Mike's truck?

Patton rode on Mike's truck for a long time before the wins came, but a lot of people knew it was possible.
    GMan,

I've no idea, right now, how long a non-winning dog will last on Mr. Farmer or Mr. Lardy's truck. So...what's the answer?

Patton stayed on Mr. Lardy's truck for a long time before the wins came, I would guess, because the client and the Pro agreed, given enough time, it was a very good possibility.

When does the "average" FT start to bloom? 2.75/3.5...I've run against A BUNCH of 3 - 4 year olds in the Q this year.

Lobbing Regards,

Joe S.

let me get my internet bus proof jacket on
    well what if the same dogs on the pro's truck are the ones placing everyweekend and yours isn't?

Are you gonna pull the dog?

or MAYBE you should re-dog and buy a better one

If he can't win with what I've provided him, then I'll provide him with some better raw materials.
    If it is all about raw materials and the shaping thereof, then why do they charge handling fees over and above monthly training fees? Huh? Huh?

148 MPH blazing serve regards;

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Van Loo

If it is all about raw materials and the shaping thereof, then why do they charge handling fees over and above monthly training fees? Huh? Huh?

148 MPH blazing serve regards;

Lisa
    Don't know why some Pro's charge a handling fee.

I'd suggest you ask one that does...

Baseline Forehand Return w/Topspin Regards,

Joe S.

I am perfectly fine loosing to other dogs own my pros truck owned by his clients

BUT

I would not take it very good if i was loosing to the pros personal dog!!!!
    IMHO That is a distinction without a difference.
    If there were any doubt that the pro was doing his best for all concerned you included.
    It would be time to pull the dog.
    Getting dogs titled or qualified for the National on a particular weekend with wins or placements on that particular particular weekend (one needs a placement to title one needs a placement to qualify and one needs a placement to..........) and they are all at the water marks along with your dog, and being run by your pro .
    Then what does it matter who owns the other dogs.
    You just better trust your pro to do right by you.
    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Baseline Forehand Return w/Topspin Regards
    148 MPH blazing serve regards
    Lobbing Regards,

Been watch too much US Open?
    "You can train your dog any way ya want. It ain't my dog. "

This tennis stuff is killing me. Keep it coming Lisa, Joe, Gerard, I'm enjoying this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell.

He he he - did not take long to get things rolling!
    If you wanted to get it rolling in a hurry, you could have gone to the May,16 post "Ownership of FT Dogs" and continued!
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ghlight=#97704

WAH - How many points do I have?
    Quote = "Maybe the "nice and helpful" don't know enough to know the original poster is an idiot." Achiro_Jan. 09

I don't own a dog. I'm a cat person. I'm only here for the GDG!
    Formerly known as WAH, W, Dubya & Dubaya