The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should a FT Pro own a dog on his truck?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 54.25%
  • NO

97 45.75%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a FT pro OWN a dog on his truck?

why charge handler fees

uhhhhh he's gotta get there (fuel), gotta sleep (motel), plus he has to put up with you (in general)

Actually -- I have found humor in this thread -- I am fairly new to the dog game - and will ask a lot of basic questions -- however, I have been self-employed for 10 years -- so I ask you this --

Who really cares if the Pro has his own dogs on the truck -- he can do whatever he wants -- if it creates more business and better reputation, more cash flow and personal achievment -- so be it

OR

If his clients call YOU Know whAT -- and leave and find another pro-- Well he (or She) will be a hunt test pro trying to find the time and money to run his dogs in the FT's

OR

His dogs will do so well and that stud fee's and puppy prices will far outwiegh Pro training

OR

He has decided what will be will be -- if you leave and that guy doesn't well maybe he doesn't need the money --

Point is this -- let him do what he thinks works for him -- his need to feed clothe, and save for the future -- big or small will drive his decision to train or not to train his own dogs -- Whichever scenario it may fall under -- but if he has a truck full of top flight field dogs and being paid to train them

THEN HE ALREADY KNOWS WHAT WORKS FOR HIM

It would not bother me if a pro ran his own dog. I would not be with a pro I did not completely trust. Most pros treat client dogs as their own and want to place as many as possible in any given weekend.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

I have seen this on occasion in the minor stakes. The pro buys a pup & puts it thru basics. They then will run the D and Q in hopes of finding a buyer. If the dog is a hot prospect they don't stay in the pros name for long and if they are a dud, who cares?
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Banned

No Way!!! It's hard enogh to beat the truck. Plus, why would I, as a pro, want to compete against the people who sign my check?????

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth
    I have seen this on occasion in the minor stakes. The pro buys a pup & puts it thru basics. They then will run the D and Q in hopes of finding a buyer. If the dog is a hot prospect they don't stay in the pros name for long and if they are a dud, who cares?
    It happens at all levels.

Lots of circumstances are possible.

1. Client wants out of the game, pro wants the dog to stay in his camp. Pro buys dog and continues to campaign until a new buyer is found.

2. Pro trains dog up through D/Q with hopes of selling it and keeping it in his camp.

3. The turn pro while in the middle of a nice dogs career.

I can think of a few actual instances where each of the above has happened, and certainly not just to the pro that Gerard is attempting to run over with the internet bus.

My responses...

A. As hard as field trials are, the ability to loosen or tighten to make sure your dog finishes 1st and a client dog is 2nd is pretty much impossible.

B. The only person affected by this is the client who thinks this may be happening to them.

C. The "do it yourself" amateur should be happy not having to run against the pro-owned dog in the Am.

D. Under no "ownership" circumstances should a National caliber field champion go uncampaigned.

Shayne

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne Mehringer
    ....... and certainly not just to the pro that Gerard is attempting to run over with the internet bus.

OK, and here I thought we were really talking hypothetical here..... Does this pro live in texas? Someone tell me... inquiring minds want to know.

Susan - jumping over the net wearing a biker/tennis outfit.

Any Pro with half a brain will sell or give the dog to a PAYING client!!! And this usually happens LONG before they reach All Age level.

Jerry
    "Where The Hell Is Bedias, TX?"

Banned

1. Client wants out of the game, pro wants the dog to stay in his camp. Pro buys dog and continues to campaign until a new buyer is found.
    Sells to a client with a contract or for a commission, he doesn't own the dog.

2. Pro trains dog up through D/Q with hopes of selling it and keeping it in his camp.
    They run a trial or two, they're not campaigned

3. The turn pro while in the middle of a nice dogs career.
    No one will begrudge them that.

My responses...
    A. As hard as field trials are, the ability to loosen or tighten to make sure your dog finishes 1st and a client dog is 2nd is pretty much impossible.
    True, but if you wear green weekend after weekend or play to the end and pro's dog does well, what would you think???? One get's tired of kissing one's cousin.

B. The only person affected by this is the client who thinks this may be happening to them.
    That quickly could become a whole lot of clients. Not worth it.

C. The "do it yourself" amateur should be happy not having to run against the pro-owned dog in the Am.
    ya think????

D. Under no "ownership" circumstances should a National caliber field champion go uncampaigned.
    No, he's sold to a client,

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Any Pro with half a brain will sell or give the dog to a PAYING client!!! And this usually happens LONG before they reach All Age level.

Jerry
    Right on Jer-Jer. Why would a pro own a dog that could win, when he could sell him and charge handling and training fees.

Lose is to win as loose is to tight.
    Kelly, Weis, Willingham, & Davies