The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

View Poll Results: Should a FT Pro own a dog on his truck?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 54.25%
  • NO

97 45.75%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a FT pro OWN a dog on his truck?

Gerard

I think Shaynes calling you out.......

8) 8) 8)

And this says a lot to me

C. The "do it yourself" amateur should be happy not having to run against the pro-owned dog in the Am.

8) 8) 8) Night
    Are they Great Dogs or Greatly Trained Dogs ?

Melanie Foster

Right on Jer-Jer. Why would a pro own a dog that could win, when he could sell him and charge handling and training fees.
    1. Stud fees.
    2. Potential National finalist/winner without the chance that owner will yank dog and send to another pro.

Think West Coast Lean Mac son owned by a pro trainer/breeder.

Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Any Pro with half a brain will sell or give the dog to a PAYING client!!! And this usually happens LONG before they reach All Age level.

Jerry
    LOL! If it were me, I would think it not to be in my best interest to run my own dog besides it costing me a paying client. In a sense, isn't it kind of like they are "your" dogs anyhow. I see more potential for negative than positive coming from it.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOG
    why charge handler fees

uhhhhh he's gotta get there (fuel), gotta sleep (motel), plus he has to put up with you (in general)
    Uhhhhh...you are already paying him/her a goodly (is that a real word?) sum of money to train the dog every month. Why pay an additional fee to handle the dog in an event? Under the thought process of some, the Pro's job is to WIN the event anyway. Why should someone be paid twice to do what they are already being paid to do...

Why not just divide the expenses of getting to/from the event equally among those owners with a dog in the event?

When the client made the decision to send the dog to Pro X, Pro X accepted the dog knowing they would have to "put up" with the client. So, for some Pro's, it's back to doing what you've been paid to do...

The "correct" answer, IMHDAO (ubp, K2, Inc.), has already been posted in this thread and it wasn't by any ex-Army, ex-Cop, chessie owning, hard-a$$ed Judging guy from Maryland's Eastern Shore that goes by a three (3) letter first name with the first and last letter matching...hypothetically speaking, ya' understand.

Baseline Volley Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B
    D. Under no "ownership" circumstances should a National caliber field champion go uncampaigned.
    No, he's sold to a client,

Angie
    I totally agree, if that is a possibility.

Kissing your cousin ain't bad, as long as she's hot and no one knows about it.

Off to Tulsa to watch dogs. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Shayne

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOG
    why charge handler fees

uhhhhh he's gotta get there (fuel), gotta sleep (motel), plus he has to put up with you (in general)
    Uhhhhh...you are already paying him/her a goodly (is that a real word?) sum of money to train the dog every month. Why pay an additional fee to handle the dog in an event? Under the thought process of some, the Pro's job is to WIN the event anyway. Why should someone be paid twice to do what they are already being paid to do...

Why not just divide the expenses of getting to/from the event equally among those owners with a dog in the event?

When the client made the decision to send the dog to Pro X, Pro X accepted the dog knowing they would have to "put up" with the client. So, for some Pro's, it's back to doing what you've been paid to do...

The "correct" answer, IMHDAO (ubp, K2, Inc.), has already been posted in this thread and it wasn't by any ex-Army, ex-Cop, chessie owning, hard-a$$ed Judging guy from Maryland's Eastern Shore that goes by a three (3) letter first name with the first and last letter matching...hypothetically speaking, ya' understand.

Baseline Volley Regards,

Joe S.
    I'm kind of with Joe on the handler fee thing. I hate paying handler's fees. I do understand the reason for charging them though. Three nights in a hotel, food, fuel etc. can get pretty darn expensive over a weekend; it adds up quick.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell.

Brian Cockfield said

I'm kind of with Joe on the handler fee thing. I hate paying handler's fees. I do understand the reason for charging them though. Three nights in a hotel, food, fuel etc. can get pretty darn expensive over a weekend; it adds up quick.

I think when you do the math, you will discover that the total charged for handling fee exceeds expenses. So, there is a component of that fee that is a "handling" fee

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih
    Brian Cockfield said

I think when you do the math, you will discover that the total charged for handling fee exceeds expenses. So, there is a component of that fee that is a "handling" fee
    No doubt.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell.

Who really cares if the Pro has his own dogs on the truck -- he can do whatever he wants -- if it creates more business and better reputation, more cash flow and personal achievment.

My dogs are with Steve Yozamp, an experienced field trial pro who has yet had the right dog to provide him with the national attention he deserves. He has trained several dogs to their AFC/FC titles. We, his clients, believe in him. He has a dog on his truck now that is having(had) a stellar Derby run, "Razor". Steve needs that one dog to provide him with that national recognition that will attract additional clients that wil keep the holes on his truck full. As long as Steve operates his business professionally - I'm happy. And when that success comes I'll always have "my holes".
    Lyle

I can't believe this thing is so even.

You guys will understand when your dog misses qualifing for a National because the Pros dog got the place that would of Qed you.

And Shayne - I am not trying to internet bus anyone - They are lots of examples of this around - NOT JUST THE PRO YOU WORSHIP.

I don't know a A class pro that does this.

Schrader "sold" Stepper.
    Danny "sold" Pete, Julie, Kirby and many others.

And if you think the fact that your dog in on the same truck as dog that won is on makes your dog better - I got some fine property south of Galveston.

As for most clients - if they are going to buy a $3000 dog and spend another $15K a year to run 25 trials - it is because THEY want to win - NOT watch Another dog win.
    "You can train your dog any way ya want. It ain't my dog. "