The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should a FT Pro own a dog on his truck?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 54.25%
  • NO

97 45.75%
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a FT pro OWN a dog on his truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Rozas

I don't know a A class pro that does this.
    Find out who owns, I think, Fargo II...

If I send a dog to a Pro and his dogs wins, I'm happy for him. I feel good because I've selected a Pro can get to where I want my dog to go.

If the slightes thought crosses my mind the Pro is providing less than the agreed upon work ethic...it's time to find a new Pro.

Drop Shot Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Gerard,

What is the difference if he is beating you with his dog or one that is client owned. If one believes the trainer is working harder on his own dog than the others on the truck, then it is time to move on. The clients work and train together. They are able to share info on training and the pro's handling. If the pro is going to screw you by putting his own dog ahead of yours, then he is likely going to screw you in many other ways.

I have observed several dogs come back after extensive time with talented pros and not be able to complete Hunt Test Senior even though the dogs had been entered in Quals. These dogs were trainable and have been rehabilitated. It was obvious they had not been getting regular work even though the trainers had all been cashing the clients' checks. Those trainers would not be trustworthy to run their own dogs but I would not put a dog with them anyway.

I do not have to deal with the problem as the field trial pro we use does not own a trial dog.

Russ

Joe,

I would send my dog to the owners of Fargo II without a second thought.

Russ

Banned

Fargo is owned by Jane and Jerry Patopea.

Jerry allows Jane one hole on the box. They have started and sold many promising puppies/started dogs and even a couple of FCs.

A lot of the dogs on the Patopea's truck are by Fargo.

I would not give it a second thought to place a dog with the Patopea's. Like many have said, if you think your pro is not doing your dog justice then move to a different pro. Personally, whether the dog is owned by the pro or another client if a dog on the same truck beats your dog, its the same deal. Your dog did not win.

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    Joe,

I would send my dog to the owners of Fargo II without a second thought.

Russ
    Me too, Russ.

It's not about the Pro owning and running a dog. It's about a basic belief in my Pro. If I don't trust him/her to do teh right thing, it's time to find a new one.

Forehand Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

[quote="Gerard Rozas"]I can't believe this thing is so even.

And if you think the fact that your dog in on the same truck as dog that won is on makes your dog better - I got some fine property south of Galveston.

Gerard, What are you trying to say?

The success of a pro is measured by their ability to train (and also handle when contracted to) dogs that win. The more success/wins the dog and or the pro has the more clients you have willing to spend $3000.00 for a pup and the 15K to train and trial. When you have clients willing to washout dogs and keep your truck full of prospects the pro doesn't need to find other means to create revenue. To respond to your statement- I would have to say that having a dog on a pros truck that has a history of training dogs that win is one aspect of what makes your dog better. I'm not interested in any property in Texas.
    Lyle

Banned

Geeze Gerard,

And you thought you were just throwing an idea out there......

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B
    Geeze Gerard,

And you thought you were just throwing an idea out there......

Angie

Are you kidding? There is ALWAYS a motive for a post like this one and the motive is NEVER an innocent inquiry into what people think.

Ted Shih wrote:

I think when you do the math, you will discover that the total charged for handling fee exceeds expenses. So, there is a component of that fee that is a "handling" fee
    I doubt that there's an owner out there who employs a pro who didn't know in advance what the handling fees were, regardless of if there's any "profit" involved in taking the fee X number of dogs per event less that event's expenses. It's an accepted convention and comes with the territory. If a person doesn't like it, they can find a trainer that doesn't charge one....

Sorta like the "doc" fee when you buy a car, except when you pay a pro a handling fee, you know what you're getting in return...or you should, anyway.

Keith Griffith.....who's exceedingly proud to be associated with another well-respected professional retriever trainer again, as of today!
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Keith, to be honest with you I don't know any FT pros that don't charge a handler's fee. I know there are probably some out there but none that I know of. It's just another part of the deal when your dog is being professionally trained. If you want the dog campaigned then you gotta pay those handler's fees. I still hate paying them though. They add up too quick during trial season along with those flyers.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell.