RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Should a FT Pro own a dog on his truck?

Should a FT pro OWN a dog on his truck?

33K views 155 replies 61 participants last post by  Golden Boy 
#1 ·
Just a question to liven up the afternoon.

#27 ·
I am perfectly fine loosing to other dogs own my pros truck owned by his clients

BUT

I would not take it very good if i was loosing to the pros personal dog!!!!
IMHO That is a distinction without a difference.
If there were any doubt that the pro was doing his best for all concerned you included.
It would be time to pull the dog.
Getting dogs titled or qualified for the National on a particular weekend with wins or placements on that particular particular weekend (one needs a placement to title one needs a placement to qualify and one needs a placement to..........) and they are all at the water marks along with your dog, and being run by your pro .
Then what does it matter who owns the other dogs.
You just better trust your pro to do right by you.
john

#30 ·
#32 ·
Actually -- I have found humor in this thread -- I am fairly new to the dog game - and will ask a lot of basic questions -- however, I have been self-employed for 10 years -- so I ask you this --

Who really cares if the Pro has his own dogs on the truck -- he can do whatever he wants -- if it creates more business and better reputation, more cash flow and personal achievment -- so be it

OR

If his clients call YOU Know whAT -- and leave and find another pro-- Well he (or She) will be a hunt test pro trying to find the time and money to run his dogs in the FT's

OR

His dogs will do so well and that stud fee's and puppy prices will far outwiegh Pro training

OR

He has decided what will be will be -- if you leave and that guy doesn't well maybe he doesn't need the money --

Point is this -- let him do what he thinks works for him -- his need to feed clothe, and save for the future -- big or small will drive his decision to train or not to train his own dogs -- Whichever scenario it may fall under -- but if he has a truck full of top flight field dogs and being paid to train them

THEN HE ALREADY KNOWS WHAT WORKS FOR HIM

#33 ·
It would not bother me if a pro ran his own dog. I would not be with a pro I did not completely trust. Most pros treat client dogs as their own and want to place as many as possible in any given weekend.

#34 ·
I have seen this on occasion in the minor stakes. The pro buys a pup & puts it thru basics. They then will run the D and Q in hopes of finding a buyer. If the dog is a hot prospect they don't stay in the pros name for long and if they are a dud, who cares?

#36 ·
Bob Gutermuth said:
I have seen this on occasion in the minor stakes. The pro buys a pup & puts it thru basics. They then will run the D and Q in hopes of finding a buyer. If the dog is a hot prospect they don't stay in the pros name for long and if they are a dud, who cares?
It happens at all levels.

Lots of circumstances are possible.

1. Client wants out of the game, pro wants the dog to stay in his camp. Pro buys dog and continues to campaign until a new buyer is found.

2. Pro trains dog up through D/Q with hopes of selling it and keeping it in his camp.

3. The turn pro while in the middle of a nice dogs career.

I can think of a few actual instances where each of the above has happened, and certainly not just to the pro that Gerard is attempting to run over with the internet bus.

My responses...

A. As hard as field trials are, the ability to loosen or tighten to make sure your dog finishes 1st and a client dog is 2nd is pretty much impossible.

B. The only person affected by this is the client who thinks this may be happening to them.

C. The "do it yourself" amateur should be happy not having to run against the pro-owned dog in the Am.

D. Under no "ownership" circumstances should a National caliber field champion go uncampaigned.

Shayne

#37 ·
Shayne Mehringer said:
....... and certainly not just to the pro that Gerard is attempting to run over with the internet bus.

OK, and here I thought we were really talking hypothetical here..... Does this pro live in texas? Someone tell me... inquiring minds want to know.

Susan - jumping over the net wearing a biker/tennis outfit.

#105 ·
OK, and here I thought we were really talking hypothetical here..... Does this pro live in texas? Someone tell me... inquiring minds want to know.

Susan - jumping over the net wearing a biker/tennis outfit.
Is that leather??

#39 ·
1. Client wants out of the game, pro wants the dog to stay in his camp. Pro buys dog and continues to campaign until a new buyer is found.
Sells to a client with a contract or for a commission, he doesn't own the dog.

2. Pro trains dog up through D/Q with hopes of selling it and keeping it in his camp.
They run a trial or two, they're not campaigned

3. The turn pro while in the middle of a nice dogs career.
No one will begrudge them that.

My responses...
A. As hard as field trials are, the ability to loosen or tighten to make sure your dog finishes 1st and a client dog is 2nd is pretty much impossible.
True, but if you wear green weekend after weekend or play to the end and pro's dog does well, what would you think???? One get's tired of kissing one's cousin.

B. The only person affected by this is the client who thinks this may be happening to them.
That quickly could become a whole lot of clients. Not worth it.

C. The "do it yourself" amateur should be happy not having to run against the pro-owned dog in the Am.
ya think????

D. Under no "ownership" circumstances should a National caliber field champion go uncampaigned.
No, he's sold to a client,

Angie

#40 ·
Jerry said:
Any Pro with half a brain will sell or give the dog to a PAYING client!!! And this usually happens LONG before they reach All Age level.

Jerry
Right on Jer-Jer. Why would a pro own a dog that could win, when he could sell him and charge handling and training fees. :?

Lose is to win as loose is to tight.

G
#42 ·
Right on Jer-Jer. Why would a pro own a dog that could win, when he could sell him and charge handling and training fees.
1. Stud fees.
2. Potential National finalist/winner without the chance that owner will yank dog and send to another pro.

Think West Coast Lean Mac son owned by a pro trainer/breeder.

Melanie

#43 ·
Jerry said:
Any Pro with half a brain will sell or give the dog to a PAYING client!!! And this usually happens LONG before they reach All Age level.

Jerry
LOL! If it were me, I would think it not to be in my best interest to run my own dog besides it costing me a paying client. In a sense, isn't it kind of like they are "your" dogs anyhow. I see more potential for negative than positive coming from it.

#44 ·
BIG DOG said:
why charge handler fees

uhhhhh he's gotta get there (fuel), gotta sleep (motel), plus he has to put up with you (in general)
Uhhhhh...you are already paying him/her a goodly (is that a real word?) sum of money to train the dog every month. Why pay an additional fee to handle the dog in an event? Under the thought process of some, the Pro's job is to WIN the event anyway. Why should someone be paid twice to do what they are already being paid to do...

Why not just divide the expenses of getting to/from the event equally among those owners with a dog in the event?

When the client made the decision to send the dog to Pro X, Pro X accepted the dog knowing they would have to "put up" with the client. So, for some Pro's, it's back to doing what you've been paid to do...

The "correct" answer, IMHDAO (ubp, K2, Inc.), has already been posted in this thread and it wasn't by any ex-Army, ex-Cop, chessie owning, hard-a$$ed Judging guy from Maryland's Eastern Shore that goes by a three (3) letter first name with the first and last letter matching...hypothetically speaking, ya' understand. :wink:

Baseline Volley Regards,

Joe S.

#46 ·
Joe S. said:
BIG DOG said:
why charge handler fees

uhhhhh he's gotta get there (fuel), gotta sleep (motel), plus he has to put up with you (in general)
Uhhhhh...you are already paying him/her a goodly (is that a real word?) sum of money to train the dog every month. Why pay an additional fee to handle the dog in an event? Under the thought process of some, the Pro's job is to WIN the event anyway. Why should someone be paid twice to do what they are already being paid to do...

Why not just divide the expenses of getting to/from the event equally among those owners with a dog in the event?

When the client made the decision to send the dog to Pro X, Pro X accepted the dog knowing they would have to "put up" with the client. So, for some Pro's, it's back to doing what you've been paid to do...

The "correct" answer, IMHDAO (ubp, K2, Inc.), has already been posted in this thread and it wasn't by any ex-Army, ex-Cop, chessie owning, hard-a$$ed Judging guy from Maryland's Eastern Shore that goes by a three (3) letter first name with the first and last letter matching...hypothetically speaking, ya' understand. :wink:

Baseline Volley Regards,

Joe S.
I'm kind of with Joe on the handler fee thing. I hate paying handler's fees. I do understand the reason for charging them though. Three nights in a hotel, food, fuel etc. can get pretty darn expensive over a weekend; it adds up quick.

#47 ·
Brian Cockfield said

I'm kind of with Joe on the handler fee thing. I hate paying handler's fees. I do understand the reason for charging them though. Three nights in a hotel, food, fuel etc. can get pretty darn expensive over a weekend; it adds up quick.

I think when you do the math, you will discover that the total charged for handling fee exceeds expenses. So, there is a component of that fee that is a "handling" fee

#48 ·
Ted Shih said:
Brian Cockfield said

I think when you do the math, you will discover that the total charged for handling fee exceeds expenses. So, there is a component of that fee that is a "handling" fee
No doubt.

#49 ·
Who really cares if the Pro has his own dogs on the truck -- he can do whatever he wants -- if it creates more business and better reputation, more cash flow and personal achievment.

My dogs are with Steve Yozamp, an experienced field trial pro who has yet had the right dog to provide him with the national attention he deserves. He has trained several dogs to their AFC/FC titles. We, his clients, believe in him. He has a dog on his truck now that is having(had) a stellar Derby run, "Razor". Steve needs that one dog to provide him with that national recognition that will attract additional clients that wil keep the holes on his truck full. As long as Steve operates his business professionally - I'm happy. And when that success comes I'll always have "my holes".
Lyle

#50 ·
I can't believe this thing is so even.

You guys will understand when your dog misses qualifing for a National because the Pros dog got the place that would of Qed you.

And Shayne - I am not trying to internet bus anyone - They are lots of examples of this around - NOT JUST THE PRO YOU WORSHIP.

I don't know a A class pro that does this.

Schrader "sold" Stepper.
Danny "sold" Pete, Julie, Kirby and many others.

And if you think the fact that your dog in on the same truck as dog that won is on makes your dog better - I got some fine property south of Galveston.

As for most clients - if they are going to buy a $3000 dog and spend another $15K a year to run 25 trials - it is because THEY want to win - NOT watch Another dog win.

#51 ·
Gerard Rozas said:
I don't know a A class pro that does this.
Find out who owns, I think, Fargo II...

If I send a dog to a Pro and his dogs wins, I'm happy for him. I feel good because I've selected a Pro can get to where I want my dog to go.

If the slightes thought crosses my mind the Pro is providing less than the agreed upon work ethic...it's time to find a new Pro.

Drop Shot Regards,

Joe S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.