The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should a FT Pro own a dog on his truck?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 54.25%
  • NO

97 45.75%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a FT pro OWN a dog on his truck?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    As long as the pro is an owner, it doesn't bother me. It is an Owner Handler Q, not an Amateur Q. In every OHQ I have run, the Ams do just fine against HT pros.
    Well that's good and I hope you beat every hunt test pro you run against....Because I still feel the same that is shows a lack of class on the part of the pro and the client doing this. I say the hunt test pro should go run a regular Q against other pros and that's good with me.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    Well that's good and I hope you beat every hunt test pro you run against....Because I still feel the same that is shows a lack of class on the part of the pro and the client doing this. I say the hunt test pro should go run a regular Q against other pros and that's good with me.

Are you saying that the OH "Q" is suppose to be less competative than the regular "Q" ?

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I ran in an O/H qual against Stowski and Farmer. Didn't bother me one bit. Some pros will start a dog and sell it later, hopefully to a client who will keep it on their truck. No big deal...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Are you saying that the OH "Q" is suppose to be less competative than the regular "Q" ?

john
    No that's not what I'm saying Set-ups should be equal as in any other Q.
    The intent of the O/H Q is for the the person that has one or two dogs that they own, weather AM trained or pro trained to have the opportunity to run thier dogs in a more level field. Not against the pro with a truck load of dog to pick from. The O/H Q is to help encourage people to start competing in field trial stakes, and running against the pro who does this type of under handed activity is under mining the propurse of this trial. Just to make him or herself look better, this person adds nothing to the sport of field trialing in my view.
    The pros that do are not good sports men or ambassadors to the field trialing games.
    Cold Creek Gundogs

No that's not what I'm saying Set-ups should be equal as in any other Q.
    The intent of the O/H Q is for the the person that has one or two dogs that they own, weather AM trained or pro trained to have the opportunity to run thier dogs in a more level field. Not against the pro with a truck load of dog to pick from. The O/H Q is to help encourage people to start competing in field trial stakes, and running against the pro who does this type of under handed activity is under mining the propurse of this trial. Just to make him or herself look better, this person adds nothing to the sport of field trialing in my view.
    The pros that do are not good sports men or ambassadors to the field trialing games.
    What is underhanded in this? As long as the pro owns the dog, how is it mean they are not good sportsmen? What is wrong with a HT pro who has a decent dog but can't run FTs since he is at a HT every weekend to run his dog in an OHQ associated with a HT he is also running?

What is underhanded in this? As long as the pro owns the dog, how is it mean they are not good sportsmen? What is wrong with a HT pro who has a decent dog but can't run FTs since he is at a HT every weekend to run his dog in an OHQ associated with a HT he is also running?
    The pro isn't the soul owner he or she co-owns the dog for the purpose of running against lesser experinced handlers in the O/H Q.
    Cold Creek Gundogs

Well if there's nothing wrong with this.
    Then here's an idea I'm a fair handler and I've never been paid to train a dog in my life.
    Maybe I'll sign on with a good Feild Trial Pro, have him trian me to be a great handler and I'll in turn travel with him and run his client dogs in the AM when ever the client is unavailable. This should give me about 10 shots at the line.
    There's nothing under handed about that is there.........
    Last edited by Golden Boy; 12-11-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Cold Creek Gundogs

Then here's an idea I'm a fair handler and I've never been paid to train a dog in my life.
    Maybe I'll sign on with a good Feild Trial Pro, have him trian me to be a great handler and I'll in turn travel with him and run his client dogs in the AM when ever the client is unavailable. This should give me about 10 shots at the line.
    We are talking about an owner/handler not an Amature owner/handler. I cannot find the information that states the original intent of the owner/handler Q could you provide the link to this information.

Thanks

Our last Q had almost half the dogs run by four differnt Professionals. 1st, 2nd went to Amateurs. A few years ago I judged a O/H Q that was run in conjunction with a HT. Again we had about 4 pros running dogs they own or co-own. Again 1st 2nd and 3rd went to Amateurs. Just don't see this as an issue.

The pro isn't the soul owner he or she co-owns the dog for the purpose of running against lesser experinced handlers in the O/H Q.
    If the pro co-owned the dog for the sole purpose of running in an OHQ, that would be a little squirrelly. However, if that is what one needs to do to get a first or second in a Q, I would not worry about the dog much anyway. However, I think it is far more likely that a pro legitimately co-owns a dog in an OHQ rather than it being a sham transaction for such small stakes.

Bring it on. I run every weekend against far better handlers with far better dogs who train far more frequently than I do. They often have several bullets in every Am and I lose to them every weekend, so what is one more? It doesn't bother me in the least since I am able to keep my dogs and my ego separate. Besides, I know we have the best dogs on the circuit that train only once per week whether they need it or not.