The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should a FT Pro own a dog on his truck?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    115 54.25%
  • NO

    97 45.75%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 156

Thread: Should a FT pro OWN a dog on his truck?

  1. #131
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    5,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    No that's not what I'm saying Set-ups should be equal as in any other Q.
    The intent of the O/H Q is for the the person that has one or two dogs that they own, weather AM trained or pro trained to have the opportunity to run thier dogs in a more level field. Not against the pro with a truck load of dog to pick from. The O/H Q is to help encourage people to start competing in field trial stakes, and running against the pro who does this type of under handed activity is under mining the propurse of this trial. Just to make him or herself look better, this person adds nothing to the sport of field trialing in my view.
    The pros that do are not good sports men or ambassadors to the field trialing games.
    This is a team sport. To be competative you must have a good dog and for your dog to be so it must have a good handler.

    To eliminate a whole class of good handlers is not "leveling the playing field", it's making that "Q" less competative.


    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

    "A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

  2. #132
    Senior Member Golden Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Castalia Ohio
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    If the pro co-owned the dog for the sole purpose of running in an OHQ, that would be a little squirrelly. However, if that is what one needs to do to get a first or second in a Q, I would not worry about the dog much anyway. However, I think it is far more likely that a pro legitimately co-owns a dog in an OHQ rather than it being a sham transaction for such small stakes.
    I've seen it and I knew the HT pro that did it.



    Bring it on. I run every weekend against far better handlers with far better dogs who train far more frequently than I do. They often have several bullets in every Am and I lose to them every weekend, so what is one more? It doesn't bother me in the least since I am able to keep my dogs and my ego separate. Besides, I know we have the best dogs on the circuit that train only once per week whether they need it or not.
    And you got the right additude so I'll get off my soap box. Train my dogs and let them do the speaking for the team.
    Best of luck to you and your dogs.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

  3. #133
    Senior Member Golden Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Castalia Ohio
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    If the pro co-owned the dog for the sole purpose of running in an OHQ, that would be a little squirrelly. However, if that is what one needs to do to get a first or second in a Q, I would not worry about the dog much anyway. However, I think it is far more likely that a pro legitimately co-owns a dog in an OHQ rather than it being a sham transaction for such small stakes.



    Bring it on. I run every weekend against far better handlers with far better dogs who train far more frequently than I do. They often have several bullets in every Am and I lose to them every weekend, so what is one more? It doesn't bother me in the least since I am able to keep my dogs and my ego separate. Besides, I know we have the best dogs on the circuit that train only once per week whether they need it or not.
    I've seen it and knew the HT Pro that did it.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

  4. #134
    Senior Member FOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    I think Golden Boy is just stating a loop hole in the O/H Qualifying stake that some Pros take advantage of and he feels it is unsportsmanlike and I agree. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

    Now with that being said I could personally not care because I run AA stakes and handle my own dog, so it's not like I'm not gonna run into most of the Pros eventually in the Open, so if I can't beat them in a Q I've got others things to worry about.

    On the other hand, when Pros take advantage by co-owning dogs just so they can run them in an O/H Q that does detract from what I would consider the intent of the O/H Q especially in conjunction with a HT. Which in my opinion is to try and encourage participation by HTers who normally would not attend a weekend FT.

    The issue that Golden Boy is bringing up is no different than the ramblings you hear about Amateurs co-owning dogs just so they can run them in a O/H Am. Co-owning a dog just to skirt the rules is not very sportsmanship like, period. There are and will always be a legitimate reason for co-ownerships, but in the case of a Pro co-owning a dog with a paying client does not pass the sniff test.

    FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

    Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

  5. #135
    Senior Member Golden Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Castalia Ohio
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I think Golden Boy is just stating a loop hole in the O/H Qualifying stake that some Pros take advantage of and he feels it is unsportsmanlike and I agree. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

    Now with that being said I could personally not care because I run AA stakes and handle my own dog, so it's not like I'm not gonna run into most of the Pros eventually in the Open, so if I can't beat them in a Q I've got others things to worry about.

    On the other hand, when Pros take advantage by co-owning dogs just so they can run them in an O/H Q that does detract from what I would consider the intent of the O/H Q especially in conjunction with a HT. Which in my opinion is to try and encourage participation by HTers who normally would not attend a weekend FT.

    The issue that Golden Boy is bringing up is no different than the ramblings you hear about Amateurs co-owning dogs just so they can run them in a O/H Am. Co-owning a dog just to skirt the rules is not very sportsmanship like, period. There are and will always be a legitimate reason for co-ownerships, but in the case of a Pro co-owning a dog with a paying client does not pass the sniff test.

    FOM
    Amen someone got it.
    Thank you very much!!!!
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

  6. #136

    Default

    How is this a loop hole this is not an Amature stake it is an owner/handler.

  7. #137
    Senior Member cakaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    N Al.
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    It's a loop hole when the pro really does not own the dog. The name is just on the paper, solely for the purpose of O/H Quals.
    Or, sometimes, the name is just on EE as owner. They don't bother to actually change the registration.

    Some FT Secs, check this. Some places have been removed.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

  8. #138

    Default

    will explain my feelings a little better regarding this issue. Field trials are competitive regardless of the stake. You will be running against pros and amatures and professional amatures there is no way around it. I cannot see any advantage to creating a venue that waters down the reality of the game. Personally I disagree with the idea that owner handler qualifyings bring new handlers to the game I think it just gives field trial credibility to dogs that for the most part are not competing against field trial dogs when the events are held in conjunction with a hunt test.

    Just my 2 cents

  9. #139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    It's a loop hole when the pro really does not own the dog. The name is just on the paper, solely for the purpose of O/H Quals.
    Or, sometimes, the name is just on EE as owner. They don't bother to actually change the registration.

    Some FT Secs, check this. Some places have been removed.
    I agree but I believe the rule requires them to be a registered owner or Co owner. I just can't imagin a Pro that would go through that much trouble to run a clients dog in the Q. Let me restate that a pro worth calling a Pro anyway.

  10. #140
    Senior Member Golden Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Castalia Ohio
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scott spalding View Post
    I agree but I believe the rule requires them to be a registered owner or Co owner. I just can't imagin a Pro that would go through that much trouble to run a clients dog in the Q. Let me restate that a pro worth calling a Pro anyway.
    Seen it done!!!!!!!
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Similar Threads

  1. Truck Dog
    By Miriam Wade in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 09:51 AM
  2. Best tires for a dog truck
    By Swift River in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 04:07 PM
  3. Truck dog
    By Jay Dufour in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •