The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should a FT Pro own a dog on his truck?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 54.25%
  • NO

97 45.75%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Should a FT pro OWN a dog on his truck?

Quote Originally Posted by scott spalding View Post
    I agree but I believe the rule requires them to be a registered owner or Co owner. I just can't imagin a Pro that would go through that much trouble to run a clients dog in the Q. Let me restate that a pro worth calling a Pro anyway.
    Believe it. It happens.
    Last edited by cakaiser; 12-11-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quick question...
    Can a dog that is pro trained be ran in an Amatuer Q?

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmMan View Post
    Quick question...
    Can a dog that is pro trained be ran in an Amatuer Q?
    Pro trained dogs run in amateur stakes all the time. Pro or Amateur is based on the handler, not who trained the dog.

I see no problem for a pro that owns/co-owns a dog to run a O/H Q. if you are going to let pro-trained dogs run in a AM Q.

No such thing as a "Am Q" Did I help much?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    No such thing as a "Am Q" Did I help much?
    Did not know that, got it from this post so I thought that there was. I guess I was then thinking of amature stake.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    As long as the pro is an owner, it doesn't bother me. It is an Owner Handler Q, not an Amateur Q. In every OHQ I have run, the Ams do just fine against HT pros.

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post

On the other hand, when Pros take advantage by co-owning dogs just so they can run them in an O/H Q
    FOM

Come on guys just how pervasive is this practice.
    I can see pros co-owning dogs for various reasons but, just so they can run them in an O/H Q?? There is a conspiracy theory just around every corner (just hang out in the gallery of any FT on any given weekend) but I am not buying it.

QAA lite should be a designation recognized by the AKC. Should it come before or after the dogs name.

Quick thought - I didnt respond to this post in 2004, why on earth am I responding now.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark; 12-11-2012 at 02:41 PM.

I really don't understand the fuss, again very new to this but in the case of a pro running Quals, regardless if it O/H or not, I have no problem. Take for example, I am training my first FT dog, she is 2 1/2. I ran two quals with her this fall and she finished 3rd in both of them and in both trials 1st and 2nd went to pros. However I welcome pros bc I learned so much. In both trials I seen how the pro's adjusted to the test and it got me saying to myself "damn, I wish I would have thought of that". My goal is not to get her QAA, even though I would love that, but its to use the Q to learn the game as a handler and I learned alot in those two trials by watching the pros. If the Q is suppose to be about getting folks like me into the game, then to me pros bring alot to the table. I dont have the money to go to a pro to learn, I use my money for dvds, stickmen, launchers, etc., train and run trials, so I watch and learn at the event. Knowing if I would have done something a little different, it could have been my girl taking 1st or 2nd but I now have more tools in my toolbox watching the pros run the same test I had to run.

Just my thoughts,

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmMan View Post
    Did not know that, got it from this post so I thought that there was. I guess I was then thinking of amature stake.
    I can see that it was confusing but I was pointing out that an owner handler Q requires that the owner be the handler. Whether the owner is a pro or an amateur is not considered for eligibility. It does not require a the handler to be an amateur, nor do the dogs have to be amateur or owner trained.

Several of you have pointed out that it does sometimes happen that a pro will become co-owner of a dog for the sole reason of being able to run it in an OHQ. While I can't believe this is widespread--the Q is just not that important--I have no reason to doubt y'all and I would think less of someone who did that. However, there are pros who own or co-own dogs for very valid reasons and have every right to run them in an OHQ and I would hope folks would not assume those motivations on anyone doing so. Face it, the Q is a joke in the FT world. Most pros and serious ams run it once when the dog is getting out of derby, get their first or second and move on. Those of us who run it more frequently are sort of like the breakfast club of FTs. We hang out with our equally less successful friends, rib each other, pop over to the Am or Open to have our lunch money stolen then come back and drink beer in the gallery of the Q. It is fun, but it sure isn't worth the AKC paperwork to sneak in a ringer.

Ya'll been arguing about this for eight years. I'm calling hung jury.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon