The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should a FT Pro own a dog on his truck?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 54.25%
  • NO

97 45.75%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a FT pro OWN a dog on his truck?

The poll is pretty even because it's a moot point and only the client, who may feel like their getting the shaft because the pro would rather win with his own dog, should have a problem with that. I don't think there are any.

As a client of a pro (which i am not) I think i'd also be more concerned that a Pro would give the nod to the dog owned by a 4-hole, long-term, grounds owning client than my 1 dog. Or the client dog that hasn't done anything in a while or the "superstar" dog on the truck in a high-point running. The pro-owned dog would be the least of my concerns.

Shayne[/quote]

That is exactly the point -- so client and pro will work it all out -- if you dog's not on that truck -- your problem is what ???

Quote Originally Posted by J Bar J
    -- if you dog's not on that truck -- your problem is what ???
    Exactly.

Shayne

1 If I were a pro I would not gamble away a hole on my truck in hopes that I could sell the dog and recoupe my lost money.

2 If my dog is on a pros truck and his dog is pulling places away from my dog I would compete with my dog from another pros truck.

3 If my dog is with a pro and after a reasonable amount of time the dog doesnt finish there are 2 problems 1 my dog cant cut it or 2 the dog is not getting the level of training to win.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Vicki Worthington's Avatar

Default Pro-Owned Dogs

I've been in this situation before--even with young dogs who are not yet competing. If the pro is bringing a hot young prospect along to sell to a client for substantial dollars, whose dog do you think is going to get the most attention in training--even at the basics level.

I've had young dogs in training with a professional who also raised/trained/sold young dogs at early ages--ready for the Derby or after running a Derby or two. The client dogs definitely did not get the same level of concern or attention! In fact, for several years only the dogs owned by the professional made it to the serious competition level. If the pro had a dog that advanced quickly, then the rest of the pack had to work at that level--ready or not. If the pro had a slow dog, the rest of the crew had to slow down. If a client had a slow dog, it was sent home!

I now prefer to send my dogs to someone that won't be owning their own dogs where I end up competing for training time now or placements later in trials!

I'm not saying it should NEVER happen, but not regularly.
    Do Something! Lead, Follow, or Get Out of The Way

Default Re: Pro-Owned Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Worthington
    I've been in this situation before--even with young dogs who are not yet competing. If the pro is bringing a hot young prospect along to sell to a client for substantial dollars, whose dog do you think is going to get the most attention in training--even at the basics level.

I've had young dogs in training with a professional who also raised/trained/sold young dogs at early ages--ready for the Derby or after running a Derby or two. The client dogs definitely did not get the same level of concern or attention! In fact, for several years only the dogs owned by the professional made it to the serious competition level. If the pro had a dog that advanced quickly, then the rest of the pack had to work at that level--ready or not. If the pro had a slow dog, the rest of the crew had to slow down. If a client had a slow dog, it was sent home!

I now prefer to send my dogs to someone that won't be owning their own dogs where I end up competing for training time now or placements later in trials!

I'm not saying it should NEVER happen, but not regularly.
    Vicki -

How long did you stay with the Pro in question?

I'd go so far as to consider if the word "Professional" actually applied in this case.

Oh...just in case no one has done it yet, welcome to RTF!

Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Default Pro Owned Dogs

Joe.

FYI. I was with this pro for a long time. I didn't send that many young dogs on a regular basis, so I was a "slow learner". But...another client actually did a winter trip training "vacation" and performed some pretty intensive time study analysis. It was overwhelmingly conclusive that client dogs took a back seat!

On the other side of the coin...I purchased some pretty good young dogs ready, or nearly ready for competition--the pro's dogs. I did well with them. For quite a while I decided I was just choosing the wrong pups. But...the last one that they had was VERY talented. He got into the keep up with the superstar puppy & was completely ruined. Another pro took him and turned him around--won Open & Amateur with placements.

Default Re: Pro Owned Dogs

[quote="Vicki Worthington"]Joe.

He got into the keep up with the superstar puppy & was completely ruined.

Meaning ? I dont quite get "into the keep up"

J Bar

As I understand it, the pro wouldn't let the dogs develop at their own pace, but instead insisted that they all keep up with the superstar pup.

As a result, some dogs were pushed too hard, too fast, and never had the chance to live up to their potential

Ted

Default Should Pro Own Dogs

Exactly, Ted.

The dogs that were pushed through ended up with poor basics that eventually caught up with them as they were "advanced". It's just like building a house--construct it on a shabby foundation & it eventually collapses!

I believe that when a pro begins training and running dogs for themselves they undercut their clients in the training arena. It is a total conflict of interest. Their total attention should be on training the dogs they are being paid to train, not their own dogs.

Totally agree Vicki!
    "You can train your dog any way ya want. It ain't my dog. "