RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Land and Water Blind Videos

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Scott Parker 
#1 ·
Land and water blinds ran by my 27 month old pup. Land blind was pretty straight forward (80 yards) and immediately followed a double. It was ran with a left to right 15kt cross wind. We ran the double in the same field off my left side.

The water blind was about 70 yards with the nearly the same left to right wind but slightly quartering off my left shoulder. When I blow the whistle after she beaches, she was within a few feet of the blind. I have no idea why, even being up wind, she didn't wind it. Nor do I know why she kept wanting to dig back. I chose not to correct with the collar but to get her attention with the recall as you'll see/here. How would you have corrected her, and what holes do you see in my training that may have been the cause for this. Thanks in advance - I apologize for the camera issue near the end of the water blind. My daughter was trying to frame the video as best she could.

Thanks - Brian

Land: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OibvqDmhjik

Water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZDDgxQ7HGA

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, it was a cold blind. I also ran a water double prior to this blind, again well to the left of the blind. I was trying to set up a Senior level test (minus the walk-up). I don't see the excitement you mention unless you are referring to the way she took off?? She has always hit the water like that. I like to think she enjoys her job. :)

Just out of curiousity, do you feel like you give more left handed casts than right?
Kendall, you are definitely on to something. Early in the day we ran some BB blind drills. While doing so, my daughter, who was standing behind me said, 'dad you are pointing her too far to the right'. Of course I wrote it off as a teenager who had no idea what she was talking about. Seems as though I was way WRONG (I have to tell her). Obviously, what appears to be straight to me is actually a little right, hence the left cast on both land and water.

If they miss the bird and start hunting you want to get their attention, box them in around the bird and not let them run.
Breck, when you say 'on your toes' and 'box them in', are you saying to hit the whistle early and often to keep her close to the bird?

#3 · (Edited)
One thing that seems to be common and I notice you did it a little was alignment prior to send. Piper took that initial line that her back was going and it forced you to break her momentum within 10-15yds. Just my O!!

Just out of curiousity, do you feel like you give more left handed casts than right?

#4 ·
Sending a dog into wide open water you're unlikely to get the perfect line. Let them get chuggin' a bit before blowing.
The end of your water blind is something that happens to all of us. Run a nice blind, come out right near bird and then things go to hell. Hopefully it doesn't happen at an event!
The reason she wanted to dig back is she just made a swim, gets out on land and sees lots of places to go, and they will go.
Know where the wind is at bird and be on your toes when dog gets out on land. If they miss the bird and start hunting you want to get their attention, box them in around the bird and not let them run.

#6 ·
I think you've got a really nice dog and it looks like you've put a lot of work into her. Even though the blinds aren't that long you might want to wear a white jacket she may have wanted to keep going back because she didn't see your cast wearing camo. With a dark back ground it can make it hard to see you even on short blinds. She responded well to the come in whistle so it didn't look like she had her mind set on driving back. Like Breck said you don't want to break their momentum right away I let them get out a way's before I stop them I also noticed when you gave her the cast in the water you really exaggerated it to get her to take what should have been a slight angle back I like to literal cast as much as I can when training.

#7 ·
#12 ·
MJH, I probably need to reevaluate everything I do irt dog training :) My point was that she was so close to the bird when I sat her down, I didn't understand why she didn't smell the bird. I understand completely what you are saying. Thanks.

#9 ·
Yes, when she zigs, stop, zags, stop. If you're sure where bird is dont let them take too many steps. Waiting to blow when you see them running may be too late. Then you end up with even bigger ping ponging.

#11 ·
X2

Definitely better than most senior blinds I've seen in actual hunt tests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.