The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Judging derby marks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

I think Howard is simply expressing what happens in the real world. And unfortunately, I agree with his assessment.
    I know....
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Wayne or others...So if each line was the side of a football,with each end being the line and the bird ,with 1 being more on the land side and the other side took more water,the dog that stayed in the water would score lower?

For discussion reasons lets say they both "marked "equal and that was the only deciding factor?

I'm still very new in comparison to most,but how could the judge score an assumption that the dog that stayed in the water wasn't naturally more of a watery dog?
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Wayne or others...So if each line was the side of a football ,with 1 being more on the land side and the other side took more water,the dog that stayed in the water would score lower?

For discussion reasons lets say they both "marked "equal and that was the only deciding factor?

I'm still very new in comparison to most,but how could the judge score an assumption that the dog that stayed in the water wasn't naturally more of a watery dog?
    The rule book doesn't not say we are scoring which dog is more "watery."
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

I agree with Ted and Howard.
    I watched a series that wasn't a derby but the line to the long retired bird caught about 10 feet of a cove, dog a went fat in the water and curved back in and front footed the bird while dog B got his feet barely wet and front footed the mark. Both were off line, both showed excellent marking, but the one that got too much water won. Most onlookers agreed that the one that went fat in the water was better, but he was further off the perfect line than the other dog and both showed they marked the bird perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by kjrice View Post
    The rule book doesn't not say we are scoring which dog is more "watery."
    Does it say we are scoring which dog is more "cheaty"? I was just curious if that was the only thing to seperate the 2, why would the dog that stayed in the water not get the benefit. If this the line is the only factor ,or why would the dog on land get the benefit?
    Shawn White

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

Does it say we are scoring which dog is more "cheaty"? I was just curious if that was the only thing to seperate the 2, why would the dog that stayed in the water not get the benefit. If this the line is the only factor ,or why would the dog on land get the benefit?
    That is why there is more than one series

It's nice if you can set up a mark that makes the cheating dog get lost. Most places don't allow you to do that though.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

We are judging the quality of a dog's marking, not its training. Both dogs had excellent marks. No reason to prefer one over another on the basis of that mark. You will need to look elsewhere for separation
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

We are judging the quality of a dog's marking, not its training. Both dogs had excellent marks. No reason to prefer one over another on the basis of that mark. You will need to look elsewhere for separation
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Shawn White

So if you are looking at your judges sheets after the test, to decide placements, what distinctions will they show? You've got 2 dogs that both marked the fall, but on your notes you got one going on an indirect line, No? So the higher placement goes to the dog with the straighter line. How else can you tell the difference between two good dogs?
    Renee P