The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, I need a new video camera(GDG)

Default Help, I need a new video camera(GDG)

We need a new camera. It's been a long time since I've done any kind of research so I was hoping to shorten the learning curve by asking for help here. Main use will be to capture the various kid activities, vacations, etc ,but I may carry it to the deer stand once in a while. Want zoom but don't need anything crazy, do want stabilization, and prefer an SD memory compatibility. Other than that I don't really even know what features I should be looking for. Probably try to keep it under $400 less if possible but open to any suggestions at this point.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Sony Handycam has worked well for me. The newer ones are HD of course. I have one that I paid about $150. But if you look on Amazon.com you will see that they have all price ranges.

Evan recommends Cannon Vixia (sp?).

I am going to upgrade soon to a HD. And I would like one where you can attach a sun filter.

I have used my Sony Handycam in the deer blind with some good success. As with any videoing it is best done off a tripod.

My model number is DCR SX-40 but it has been replaced by newer models.

Edit: Oops it was $253. See below link for more info on video cameras.
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...=video+cameras
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 03-20-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Thanks, didn't see the other thread though.
    I'm looking at these two but not sure if its "too much camera", any thoughts?
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Im...I32LACJRGARHN7
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-CX260...=IO8BXXJDVKGBW
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

We have a Cannon like the one you listed. It has served us well. We have used it for recording some youth baseball games and dog training/trials.
    Mike Peters

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    Thanks, didn't see the other thread though.
    I'm looking at these two but not sure if its "too much camera", any thoughts?
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Im...I32LACJRGARHN7
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-CX260...=IO8BXXJDVKGBW
    My first thought is "No such thing as too much camera". Sony is making a couple of models now with more sophisticated image stabilization (Balanced Optical Steadyshot) but even so I would really recommend using a tripos and getting one with a fluid dampened head which will really smooth out your pans. Also, don't forget that the zoom rating (30X for instance) is likely to be misleading. It is stating the range from the widest wide angle to the longest telephoto. To determine the actual magnification you need to look at the specifications where it should tell you the 35mm equivalent lens length. You want to divide the largest number (in the case of the Sony 894mm) by 50 (35mm camera lens length which has no effect on perspective), which gives you an actual magnification of just under 18X which is pretty good, but no where near the 30X they claim.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Sony Handycam has worked well for me. The newer ones are HD of course. I have one that I paid about $150. But if you look on Amazon.com you will see that they have all price ranges.

Evan recommends Cannon Vixia (sp?).
    Canon Vixia is a line of cameras with numerous models; all good buys for the money. You can get used ones well within your budget, and some new ones depending on model. True HD, and amazingly versatile. I've shot lots of video with several models, and would be happy to answer questions about any you're looking at. I can also suggest aftermarket items that may improve the quality of the footage you shoot.

Boy, is Harry ever right! There is no such thing as "too much camera"!!!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Canon Vixia is a line of cameras with numerous models; all good buys for the money. You can get used ones well within your budget, and some new ones depending on model. True HD, and amazingly versatile. I've shot lots of video with several models, and would be happy to answer questions about any you're looking at. I can also suggest aftermarket items that may improve the quality of the footage you shoot.

Boy, is Harry ever right! There is no such thing as "too much camera"!!!

Evan
    Who's Harry?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Sorry. I was in a hurry when I posted earlier. I thought you were someone else. However, the salient point is that you were correct.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

― George Bernard Shaw

I should explain my comment. I want to spend as little as possible and get the features I want and need for the intended purposes. I don't want to pay an extra $200 for a feature I'll never use or need.

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    I should explain my comment. I want to spend as little as possible and get the features I want and need for the intended purposes. I don't want to pay an extra $200 for a feature I'll never use or need.
    Then Canon Vixia is a great choice for you. Most models in that line are point & shoot, consumer-level cameras. They just happen to take a great full high def image.

Evan

― George Bernard Shaw