The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, I need a new video camera(GDG)

These two video camera look darn near identical yet the top one is $150 more than the bottom one. $399 vs. $249. Can someone tell me what the difference is? Why I'd want to pay $150 more for the top one. Still picture capable?

Canon

VIXIA HF M500 Full HD Camcorder

• Capture Full HD 1920 x 1080 Video
    • Take 2.07 Megapixel Still Images
    • Canon HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor
    • SD/SDHC/SDXC Slot Supports Up to 64GB
    • HD Video Lens with 10x Optical Zoom
    • LCD 3.0" Widescreen Touch Screen Display
    • Optical & Powered Image Stabilization
    • Cinematic Features & Touch Decoration
    • HDMI Output & AV Output

Canon

VIXIA HF R300 Full HD Camcorder

• Canon 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Sensor
    • Record in AVCHD or MP4 Formats
    • Optical 32x Zoom & 1020x Digital Zoom
    • LCD 3.0" Widescreen Touch Panel Display
    • Smart Auto, Face Detection & Instant AF
    • Microphone & Headphone Terminals

• B&H # CAHFR300
    • Mfr # 5978B001

• B&H # CAHFM500
    • Mfr # 6096B001

Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

The main feature you should probably be looking at is ACTUAL optical zoom (as per formula I posted earlier in thread). Be sure that the camera has a tripod socket (I think they probably all do). The two other features I would really want are an eye level viewfinder (becoming less common but very useful in bright sun) and good image stabilization. You also really want a decent tripod with a good video head. Depending on your tolerance for junk, you can probably pick up a "video" tripod for under $50.00 but to get one that is going to be enjoyable to use, you are looking at $150.00 and up. It is the head that puts the "video" in video tripod. Video heads are "fluid dampened" to make their movements very smooth and not jerky. Manfrotto makes a nice video head that runs about $85.00 and can be mounted on most tripod legs. Manfrotto also makes some tripods sans head for just over $100.00 so the combination would be just under $200.00
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    These two video camera look darn near identical yet the top one is $150 more than the bottom one. $399 vs. $249. Can someone tell me what the difference is? Why I'd want to pay $150 more for the top one. Still picture capable?

Canon

VIXIA HF M500 Full HD Camcorder

• Take 2.07 Megapixel Still Images
    • Canon HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor
    • HD Video Lens with 10x Optical Zoom
    • LCD 3.0" Widescreen Touch Screen Display
    • HDMI Output & AV Output

VIXIA HF R300 Full HD Camcorder

• Canon 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Sensor
    • Record in AVCHD or MP4 Formats
    • Optical 32x Zoom & 1020x Digital Zoom
    • LCD 3.0" Widescreen Touch Panel Display
    • Smart Auto, Face Detection & Instant AF
    • Microphone & Headphone Terminals

• B&H # CAHFR300
    • Mfr # 5978B001

• B&H # CAHFM500
    • Mfr # 6096B001

Actually it is a pretty significant difference there. It is the physical size of the sensor. The more expensive camera has a 1/3" sensor and the other one has a much smaller 1/4.85" (just a bit over 1/5") sensor (as do most of the Vixia line). The larger sensor should provide a better picture, but it also has the effect of giving the camera a much shorter effective lens length (463mm (8.72X) as opposed to 1232mm (24.64X)) so the more expensive camera actually gives you less telephoto reach than the less expensive one. The sensor size and number of sensors (some more sophisticated cameras have 3 sensors, one for each color) have an effect on image quality and price of the camera.

I should add that for what most here are probably doing, I would opt for the longer telephoto (less expensive camera in this case).
    Last edited by HPL; 03-21-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

If you are going to use this in sunlight you need an optical viewfinder. Most low dollar video cam's don't have this. You open it up and look on the screen to see what you are filming. This is OK in most home uses, but if you are at the beach, ballpark or trying to shoot things in the sky (like ducks), it's very hard to get good film because you can't see.

The old Sony I had was a digital VCR that played Sony Super 8 tapes. It had a through the lense rangefinder as well as a open up mini screen. It was great in low light and you could see to shoot in low light or high light via the rangefinder. Don't know what it costs to get these features now, but it's worth it if you are shooting outdoors.
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)