The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: What group do you fall into...

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Group A

1 1.41%
  • Group B

61 85.92%
  • Group C

9 12.68%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Judging Marks

Default Judging Marks

So I attended a HT judges seminar this past weekend. Pretty much the same as always. I did find it interesting how some of the other judges in the class judge marking. For example take a wide open triple. Dog picks up the two outside birds, pins them, gets lets say 10 on both marks. Lines up for the 3rd middle bird and immediately heads for the 1st bird again. Handler stops and handles the dog with no refusals to the middle bird.

Group A
    Some judges felt that a zero was in order since the middle bird was the key memory bird and the dog showed no memory of the mark. Zero him and drop him, the first two marks didn't count as they were just to setup the key bird.

Group B
    Others felt that a zero on that middle bird was warranted, but take into consideration the first two birds and overall for the series the dog gets a 6.6 (10+10+0/3)

Group C
    Others felt that math was just to complicated, one handle was acceptable, but two warranted a zero in marking.

I also found it interesting that this scenario was presented as the first series of the test, and the group A judges didn't care, drop them anyway. Under group B and C the dog would advance to the second series. I'm curious what the majority of AKC HT judges on the board think? What group do you fall into...

/Paul

I voted B.

The dog pretty much stunk up the first series... but i always ask myself if the dog hammers the blinds and the water marks after this, is he worthy of passing and in this example i think he is.

Shayne

I voted B also. I want to see a master dog complete a triple on his own before the days over but it dosent have to be the 1st set of marks.

As a Master dog owner, I'd say that I expect the dog to pick up all three without a handle, but thats not always the way she sees it. I agree that if she cleanly handles to the middle bird and otherwise did nice work on the other two birds she would deserve to get the call back. Now if she stinks up the water tripple, you better have packed a lunch in my opion. Master hunters have to earn that title.
    Misty Marsh Gun Dog Supplies is your source for Elsema remote release electronics, Dogtra, Sport Dog, Tri-Tronics, Armadillo foam, Dokken, Gunners Up wingers, Retriever Specalists, Alfa, Smartworks, and more. www.mistymarsh.com

Just a note that this discussion in the seminar took up most of the morning. I actually at one point felt a bit sorry for Joe as he had completley lost control of the room, but I quickly recovered when reminded myself that he was the AKC rep and is getting paid for this.

/paul

Banned

B It is quite possible dog never saw the middle mark to begin with.

This dog hammered 2 out of 3 of the marks and had a quick recovery on the 3rd. That is still very good work overall. Especially in the 1st series. There are a lot of other chances during the day for the dog to demonstrate if he is MH quality or not. This dog is going to see 4 or 5 more marks in this test. If he hammers these and therefore would go 7 out of 8 being perfect, wouldn't be quite fair to drop him as described in the 1st series.

EXACTAMONDO!!!
    Misty Marsh Gun Dog Supplies is your source for Elsema remote release electronics, Dogtra, Sport Dog, Tri-Tronics, Armadillo foam, Dokken, Gunners Up wingers, Retriever Specalists, Alfa, Smartworks, and more. www.mistymarsh.com

B! Its suppose to be about a quality hunting retriever anyway! Tell me you would hate to have a dog in your blind that needed a handle now and again.

Default Re: Judging Marks

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002
    Zero him and drop him, the first two marks didn't count as they were just to setup the key bird.
    What the *bleep*? I haven't read all of the AKC HT rules, but is this acceptable?
    Tina (I voted B)
    Everybody's a !@#$ing expert.