The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Waiting to compete in field trials

  1. #11
    Senior Member Bridget Bodine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Winola, Pa
    Posts
    2,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Ummmm Bridget, I think it's cause you're a stone cole coward.

    You've slowed down quite a bit since your "box wrench" days and it really shows!

    (Hope you appreciate that... took me like 30 hours to finally come up with it - and 2 vodka tonics!)
    I KNOW!!!! it really is embarrassing....I used to be a damn the torpedoes type of girl and now peek my head up to see if any one is looking.... I remember the box wrench days fondly.....When I wasn't fishing , I drove the forklift at the packing house, I was a very good forklift driver and the dock always had me on it. ( imagine 24 -36 cardboard boxes filled with fish and ice, with sometimes ice in between the boxes and then driving it around on a wood dock, this was before the silly plastic wrap they use today) Anyway , I was sitting on the forklift waiting for the boat to tie up so we could get it done. It was in the summer time.The ice for the packing was moved in to the packing house through an auger system over head, then dropped through a shoot in to the totes, to be shoveled into the cartons . I happened to be parked underneath the shoot, when one of the joker Captains turned the auger on....YIKES !!! as the now melted icewater came dumping down on me!! Did I mention I rarely wore bras in those days...
    Good luck this weekend Jen, may you walk out with your head high!!!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

    Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

  2. #12
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,031

    Default

    Aside from personal enjoyment, the only reason I could think of in campaigning a pup in derby, would be to get added value if you wanted to sell him. If you don't want to sell him, and he's your lifer dog, no real reason to rush into it, or even him run in the lower stakes at all. I'm sure rather than derby points most prefer titles/points from FC, AFC, even QAA, MH, HRCH, etc. from a lifer dog. These requires significantly more resources, skill set and training to campaigne. Save the money, build the skill-set, and then go for the bigger titles, would be the way I'd do it, to me it makes the most since
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

    GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois Wisconsin border
    Posts
    952

    Default

    [QUOTE=Hunt'EmUp;1084948]Aside from personal enjoyment, the only reason I could think of in campaigning a pup in derby, would be to get added value if you wanted to sell him. If you don't want to sell him, and he's your lifer dog, no real reason to rush into it, or even him run in the lower stakes at all. I'm sure rather than derby points most prefer titles/points from FC, AFC, even QAA, MH, HRCH, etc. from a lifer dog. These requires significantly more resources, skill set and training to campaigne. Save the money, build the skill-set, and then go for the bigger titles, would be the way I'd do it, to me it makes the most since [/QUOTE

    I agree and would go a step further once one makes the derby list or wins a derby move on. I have training friend who had a dog with 92 all-age points and won a double header (open and amateur at same trial) when asked how many derby points he had , eleven was the answer or I would had said who cares. The derby with it's smaller entries and Friday starts is dominated by pros. The Saturday quals, with OH and put with a hunt test have become the derby of yesteryear for amateurs. QAA is the stake goal unless you are going to sell the dog or try for the National Derby Championship, lots of luck!
    Earl Dillow

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois Wisconsin border
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Aside from personal enjoyment, the only reason I could think of in campaigning a pup in derby, would be to get added value if you wanted to sell him. If you don't want to sell him, and he's your lifer dog, no real reason to rush into it, or even him run in the lower stakes at all. I'm sure rather than derby points most prefer titles/points from FC, AFC, even QAA, MH, HRCH, etc. from a lifer dog. These requires significantly more resources, skill set and training to campaigne. Save the money, build the skill-set, and then go for the bigger titles, would be the way I'd do it, to me it makes the most since
    Just thinking on this cold nasty day you do have a bigger point. Dogs with names like HRCH Criquetpas Noir Ikon MH QAA, HRCH Printie of Criquetpas MHQAASudden Deliberation of Buckshot MH QAA, all have some things in common, they are all dogs titled by me, all -age trained, some pointed, all owned by me from pups until old age. All extensively hunted
    And all derby dogs pointed, wins And National Derby list. Now look at thier titles. What stands out the most! My last derby statement or ?
    Earl Dillow

  5. #15
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Just thinking on this cold nasty day you do have a bigger point. Dogs with names like HRCH Criquetpas Noir Ikon MH QAA, HRCH Printie of Criquetpas MHQAASudden Deliberation of Buckshot MH QAA, all have some things in common, they are all dogs titled by me, all -age trained, some pointed, all owned by me from pups until old age. All extensively hunted
    And all derby dogs pointed, wins And National Derby list. Now look at thier titles. What stands out the most! My last derby statement or ?
    The HRCH tells me the dog has team work-line manners and can use his nose, The MH tells me he can mark technics-handles-and is steady, QAA tells me he can go long-run straight-understands concepts, can handle and had enough style-skill to win against others. All 3 together tells me the dog is very versatile, a good-great all round dog, who can go long-short is calm-steady and stylish, all on my check-list for a hunting partner.

    All derby tells me is a young dog has style, can mark (techincal etc.), and is better at marking than others . Derby points show that a dog has potential. Potential is what I want if I'm looking to buy a dog to run in upper stakes. But if I'm keeping a pup forever, I don't really need to prove he has potential, it's already decided. I just might be better off training a complete skill-set, then proving he has talent-skill in the upper stakes, and that he might have more of it than others .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

    GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    I see puppies for sale where they list how many derby points the sire and dam have and also siblings of the sire and dam and if they made the derby list. This seems to be a big selling point to the seller but I'm not sure how big of a selling point it is to the buyer.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Corinth MS
    Posts
    810

    Default

    I'm waiting as well. My new pup was born Sunday. Can't wait to get my hands on her in may.

  8. #18
    Member Bender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bettendorf, IA
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    I'm waiting as well. My new pup was born Sunday. Can't wait to get my hands on her in may.
    I understand your excitement. My first lab comes home May 3rd!

  9. #19
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    I KNOW!!!! it really is embarrassing....I used to be a damn the torpedoes type of girl and now peek my head up to see if any one is looking.... I remember the box wrench days fondly.....When I wasn't fishing , I drove the forklift at the packing house, I was a very good forklift driver and the dock always had me on it. ( imagine 24 -36 cardboard boxes filled with fish and ice, with sometimes ice in between the boxes and then driving it around on a wood dock, this was before the silly plastic wrap they use today) Anyway , I was sitting on the forklift waiting for the boat to tie up so we could get it done. It was in the summer time.The ice for the packing was moved in to the packing house through an auger system over head, then dropped through a shoot in to the totes, to be shoveled into the cartons . I happened to be parked underneath the shoot, when one of the joker Captains turned the auger on....YIKES !!! as the now melted icewater came dumping down on me!! Did I mention I rarely wore bras in those days...
    Good luck this weekend Jen, may you walk out with your head high!!!
    Great story Bridget! I can soooo picture it!! You and I would make a fun pair!

    Thanks for the good wishes - mainly looking for a learning experience - oh yeah, and a little excitement!

    Good luck with your pup!

  10. #20
    Senior Member grnhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    suwanee,ky
    Posts
    152

    Default

    I can sooo picture it to. Cold water,chick with no bra...........wait....what was this thread about.
    42 year old still acting like a 14 year old regards





    Sorry,had to do it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •