The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How does a dog become a Field Champion?

In 1986 I was at the Wisconsin Amateur Field Trial grounds in the last series , amateur all-age looking out at a quad, that my dog had never seen before. He had to climb a old gravel pit through the water three times with a shot flyer off the side. He was completely amateur trained, non-collar, went on back, marks and blinds. I was shaking in my boots he climbed that hill three times through the water after he picked up the flyer. We won that trial, the first win we ever had. I dropped the trophy on the ground and still has the dent to this day. Tears came to my eyes with that win. Like Bill we had better dogs that did some nice things, but, I will remember that win forever.

Lets back up Shotzy a Golden Retriever male, was given to me as a three year old as a divorce settlement between my daughter and ex-son-in-law. I gave my ex a hunting dog and he gave me Shotzy. A bitch like name misspelled from his tours of duty in the Army in Germany. Al had been shot in the service and could only raise left arm half way. So Shotzy would only take good right overs and turned the same way. He was three years plus when I started to train him. Working odd shifts as a cop and limited funds kept us from the big time. Entered him in a Qual and got fourth place at 4 years old. Said what the heck and entered him in a open and we got a JAM our first all-age JAM ever. We got a bunch of green ribbons and after a couple of years of limited trialing got a second place in a amateur all-age, my first all-age placement and Shotzy's. He earned a MH along the way, why? and a CDX in obedience. Money got short and we dug into some household funds much to my wife's dismay. She said my priorities had to change or ? we couldn't afford to play this all-age game. Didn't listen and the training became all consuming sometimes we would call in sick, used all my vacation time up, created job problems with promotions. Took a promotion went from days to the midnight shift, whoopee more time to train. Then took a Lab puppy on in 1987, now we are running a old 8 year old in the all-age trying to title and running a derby dog. Of course that took away from running Shotzy. Shotzy was retired at age 10 short of his AFC, never got the extra few points and he received a JAM at close to his tenth birthday. He lived until age 16 and cancer took his life. Oh he was a siezuring dog and had to pick him up on more then one occasion at a trial as he could drown sometimes in the last series. This is my first all-age dog story, not as good as Bill's but hope entertaining. So we field trialers aren't all these rich guys you here about. That's why we perhaps chuckle at some of the hard luck stories that people post, about being dropped, driving many miles, spending maybe a thousand bucks in a year etc. It's all about how bad do you want it? and what are you willing to give up. Oh it got better started to sell dogs to run dogs. The problem you have to be willing to sell the best dog you might ever own. Then years later sit empty handed.
    Last edited by Criquetpas; 03-21-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Earl Dillow

Wow! Great story Earl. And the wife still let you sleep in the house at night... I'd say you did pretty darn good!
    Bill Davis

Good stuff Earl!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    I like my wife...she frowns enough at HT's and training for it... You guys can keep the Trials! LOL

Smart, good man.

Great analogy Breck.

Liked hearing your stories Earl and Bill, thanks for sharing.

Don
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    I like my wife...she frowns enough at HT's and training for it... You guys can keep the Trials! LOL
    My wife frowns on HTs as well. She already has stopped me from running one dog in them and is threatening to make me stop running the other. On the other hand she loves FTs. Unfortunately, she wants to win and has figured out that that might be hard with what is on the truck currently. So, her new puppy arrives tomorrow. At least she doesn't complain about all the time and expense

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    My wife frowns on HTs as well. She already has stopped me from running one dog in them and is threatening to make me stop running the other. On the other hand she loves FTs. Unfortunately, she wants to win and has figured out that that might be hard with what is on the truck currently. So, her new puppy arrives tomorrow. At least she doesn't complain about all the time and expense
    Uh Oh.....
    Bill Davis

I don't have the time, money or expertise to run trials. This is my first lab and my wife is encouraging me to run hunt tests with him. She says I need a hobby other than fly fishing season. I guess I'm lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I like the way your wife thinks! You and Tony are fortunate to have wive's who have been bitten by this game too! Good luck with the pup, look forward to seeing him and ya'll soon!
    ~trudie