The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How does a dog become a Field Champion?

How does a dog become a Field Champion?

I don't know... If I ever figure it out I'll get back to ya!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

If you can't take failure or disappointment this is not the game for you. I did tally what I spent one year on 1 dog. I dare not tell in case my wife finds out. It could easily have paid for a first year college student. This the game we chose if we don't like it I guess we can take our Marbles ( dog ) and go home. Did I say game or addiction.
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** C.D.X.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX

Quote Originally Posted by Cut em Shelby View Post
    How many here have trained their own personal FCs?
    An even better question is, how many amateurs who work full time have trained their own person FCs or AFCs? Even a pro trained field champion requires not only $$, but a lot of work on behalf of the owner from the time you pick them out, set the foundation for their basics as a puppy, teach them not to pee on your floor, start them on marks, etc.

It's a team approach.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I did when I had a real job and that's all I did! There were three or four in our group that were titled and everyone was a working stiff. That was in the 1990's. Today circa 2013 I dunno know with the competition out there. Have had only one since retired . Just been through four trying to make another. It ain't easy now a days. Anyone who dedicates themselves with money , time and sacrifices is to be commended Pro trained or not. Any dog who has letters in front of their name as FC or AFC is quite an animal in this day and age no matter who trains it or runs/handles it is one anyone would be proud to put their hand in front!!
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    An even better question is, how many amateurs who work full time have trained their own person FCs or AFCs?
    And possibly a tougher question......how many amateurs who work full time have trained their own FC's or AFC's in last 5 years? Seems to me it has gotten even tougher recently!

I've done it with my first trial dog. That one cost me my first marriage and as I was self employed, it cost me many thousands I didn't make because I was training when I should have been working. What a ride though! In the 90's. (no collar)

Did it again with my good friend and co-owner of the next dog. She was a more consistent dog and made it to 96.5 all age points. But cancer got her at age 8.

Have been on a sabbatical from running dogs for a few years, but with a pup coming this year we will see if I can still teach one to sit...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by verne socks View Post
    And possibly a tougher question......how many amateurs who work full time have trained their own FC's or AFC's in last 5 years? Seems to me it has gotten even tougher recently!
    Verne you think so!!! You were away for awhile . My training partner works 40 to 60 hours week, dog is going on eight all amateur trained pointed with a win. The dog won't run for me. Hope this is the year. It is a heartbreaker to watch him try to title. 15 plus years ago he would have been titled by five! There are people out there with four and five titled dogs running every weekend. That was very rare 15 or 20 years ago and if you had a good dog you could compete with any pro. It is a sad state of affairs, but, it is what it is.
    Earl Dillow

Thanks Bill for the testimonial. You walk the walk and speak very little of your accomplishments. My kids were almost grown and I didn't know them.
    Earl Dillow

[QUOTE=huntinman;1084660]I've done it with my first trial dog. That one cost me my first marriage and as I was self employed, it cost me many thousands I didn't make because I was training when I should have been working. ...

Would you do it again ?
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Verne you think so!!! You were away for awhile . My training partner works 40 to 60 hours week, dog is going on eight all amateur trained pointed with a win. The dog won't run for me. Hope this is the year. It is a heartbreaker to watch him try to title. 15 plus years ago he would have been titled by five! There are people out there with four and five titled dogs running every weekend. That was very rare 15 or 20 years ago and if you had a good dog you could compete with any pro. It is a sad state of affairs, but, it is what it is.
    Yeah, 10 year break from the game for me....right around year 2000. Couldn't make an FC back then and it seems even tougher now! Almost impossible without a very good dog & a good pro unless you are retired or as huntinman says "self employed"...