The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: How does a dog become a Field Champion?

  1. #31
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,197

    Default

    [QUOTE=Shawn White;1084671]
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I've done it with my first trial dog. That one cost me my first marriage and as I was self employed, it cost me many thousands I didn't make because I was training when I should have been working. ...

    Would you do it again ?
    When can we start?

    Edit... Don't mean to be flip about a serious subject. It's just that when I look back over the time starting in 1985 when I bought a lab pup out of backyard breeding to the day in 1995 about a week after my divorce was final... I was standing on a hill in Turnagain Pass in Alaska. Running my dog (different dog) in the very difficult 4th series of the Amateur at the Alaska Women's Retriever Club Trial. It was the weekend before the start of the Nat'ls Amateur in Sun Valley, ID.

    My dog had points, but needed a win. He was 7 years old, untitled with 5 second place finishes to that point. He had over 20 all age points without a win. So there I was, so broke I couldn't pay attention. Dog after dog messing up the 4th series. Then it was my turn. My old dog goes out there and gets all the birds clean! As he drives up the hill on the far side of the valley to get the retired bird (thrown by RTF's Howard Niemi) I was holding my breath. When he came up with the bird, I literally fell to the ground with relief, joy and just flat out emotion. It was a long journey to that point. This was my second dog, but first dog out of good breeding. Trained without a collar. I couldn't afford it, but I was on my way to my first National!!!!

    Since 1985 almost all of my friends have been made because of dogs. I have been to just about every corner of the country because of dogs. Sure, I have stumbled along the way... But the friends and experiences I have had cannot be replaced. I'm looking forward to the next chapter...

    The game has its challenges, but the good days make up for a lot of bad ones...
    Last edited by huntinman; 03-20-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Bill Davis

  2. #32
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Thanks Bill for the testimonial. You walk the walk and speak very little of your accomplishments. My kids were almost grown and I didn't know them.
    It's a crazy game as you know Earl. It gets in your blood. You love it, hate it, swear you'll never do it again, then are right back at it the next week. Garth Brooks had a song about Rodeos where the cowboy sells everything he owns "just to play the game". I've known a few guys like that in this game and probably wasn't too far from it at one point!
    Bill Davis

  3. #33
    Senior Member Wade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Hum?
    Imagine you taught you son to play golf from when he was 5 years old (Derby) and after a lot of sweat and excelling in high school (Qualifying) he ends up getting a golf scholarship to college. (Amateur) He ends up being good enough to play on the PGA Tour. (Open)
    To become a field champion he's got to make the cut fairly often at tournaments plus come in better than 4th place a few times. He then needs beat Tiger Woods, Rory Mcilroy etc at least one time and win tournament.
    Great golfers have played on the tour for years and never won an event.
    Good Golfers but not GREAT. The word Great is thrown around way to often in sports.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois Wisconsin border
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    It's a crazy game as you know Earl. It gets in your blood. You love it, hate it, swear you'll never do it again, then are right back at it the next week. Garth Brooks had a song about Rodeos where the cowboy sells everything he owns "just to play the game". I've known a few guys like that in this game and probably wasn't too far from it at one point!
    My wife substituted dog training words to the song. Fortunately she was a country gal whose father dropped her mother off at the hospital when her mother was in labor, then went ice fishing, leaving her mother on her own. They were married 60 plus years. Money was short though and very lean at times . Two prominent trialers took second mortgages
    out on their house to support their habit. One is now divorced the other?
    Earl Dillow

  5. #35
    Senior Member BlaineT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Ive got a Ton of respect for any of you that got the FC on a dog. The work seems unrelentless. The money spent or lost is crazy. family time suffers, extra curricular activities suffer, finances suffer. I've got a black dog that i am in prep mode to play the big boy games with one day so i guess in a sadistic way i cant wait.
    all the while trying to get a boykin ready for the grand in 2014. another tough feat. so between the 2 im gonna need counseling.
    Last edited by BlaineT; 03-20-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

  6. #36
    Member Cut em Shelby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    99

    Default

    [QUOTE=huntinman;1084681]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post

    When can we start?

    Edit... Don't mean to be flip about a serious subject. It's just that when I look back over the time starting in 1985 when I bought a lab pup out of backyard breeding to the day in 1995 about a week after my divorce was final... I was standing on a hill in Turnagain Pass in Alaska. Running my dog (different dog) in the very difficult 4th series of the Amateur at the Alaska Women's Retriever Club Trial. It was the weekend before the start of the Nat'ls Amateur in Sun Valley, ID.

    My dog had points, but needed a win. He was 7 years old, untitled with 5 second place finishes to that point. He had over 20 all age points without a win. So there I was, so broke I couldn't pay attention. Dog after dog messing up the 4th series. Then it was my turn. My old dog goes out there and gets all the birds clean! As he drives up the hill on the far side of the valley to get the retired bird (thrown by RTF's Howard Niemi) I was holding my breath. When he came up with the bird, I literally fell to the ground with relief, joy and just flat out emotion. It was a long journey to that point. This was my second dog, but first dog out of good breeding. Trained without a collar. I couldn't afford it, but I was on my way to my first National!!!!

    Since 1985 almost all of my friends have been made because of dogs. I have been to just about every corner of the country because of dogs. Sure, I have stumbled along the way... But the friends and experiences I have had cannot be replaced. I'm looking forward to the next chapter...

    The game has its challenges, but the good days make up for a lot of bad ones...
    Damn good story man. You oughta write a book.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Duckquilizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mid-TN
    Posts
    922

    Default

    I like my wife...she frowns enough at HT's and training for it... You guys can keep the Trials! LOL
    Kendall Layne

    HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

    Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Gun_Dog2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mohawk Valley
    Posts
    8,612

    Default

    All these people are misleading you. Its simple really. Go find a thread on which program to follow, read it a dozen times, then go buy a bunch of shiny CD's, watch them a dozen times, then come on RTF and tell others how to train dogs now that you are a guru.

    Oh wait, sorry thats how to get an internet FC. My bad. Course getting an Internet NFC is much harder because you have to watch CD's from at least two different programs and post on multiple training boards.

    Good luck on your endeavors...

    /Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

    Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

    https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

  9. #39
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,197

    Default

    [QUOTE=Cut em Shelby;1084807]
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post

    Damn good story man. You oughta write a book.
    The ones that should write the books are the old timers who were playing the game in the 50s, 60s and 70s... From the stories I have heard we are just pups.
    Bill Davis

  10. #40
    Senior Member Duckquilizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mid-TN
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    All these people are misleading you. Its simple really. Go find a thread on which program to follow, read it a dozen times, then go buy a bunch of shiny CD's, watch them a dozen times, then come on RTF and tell others how to train dogs now that you are a guru.

    Oh wait, sorry thats how to get an internet FC. My bad. Course getting an Internet NFC is much harder because you have to watch CD's from at least two different programs and post on multiple training boards.

    Good luck on your endeavors...

    /Paul
    And to boot, someone just started a thread on building your own pedigree. I CAN HAVE MY OWN PEDIGREE WITH ALL THE IEFC's, IEAFC's, and IENFC'sI WANT! WOOOOOO! (Translation for non-techies IE is Internet Explorer)
    Kendall Layne

    HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

    Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •