The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Early neurological stimulation

Smile Early neurological stimulation

What is this? Many people claim to do this when they post a litter of puppies. ( I have already had a rockstar and a diet coke this morning for my E.N.S.).
    Rod T. Gardner

The Military started doing this in the 1940's. Nothing new or groundbreaking. They say it stimulates neurological development. Doing things like holding them upside down, side to side, tickling their feet, alternating placing them on a cold wet towel then a warm wet towel etc. There are different versions I've read. All have the same concept. I've done it just in case they're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    The Military started doing this in the 1940's... Doing things like holding them upside down, side to side, tickling their feet, .
    By far the most fun I have had in the military.... even though holding us upside down got old after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    By far the most fun I have had in the military.... even though holding us upside down got old after a while.

it's the tickling of the feet that has me a little creeped out...soap on a rope?

I started doing it about 5 or 6 years ago. Has it helped my dogs? No idea, but it can't hurt & it's kind of fun to play with all the little burrheads and study the tiny little things at a time when they still can't see or hear or do much other than eat & sleep. I have a small litter of 4 little Peakes right now that are the most uniform pups I've had in any litter, big or small. Studying them while doing the ENS has helped me be able to tell them apart.

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I've done a little research on it as my pup had it done. Seems to make sense to me, the very first couple weeks is the most developmental time for the neurological system. the system just provides stimuli to provoke more growth.

For amateurs who handle and spend a lot of time around their litters, I think it's hogwash. But, I do it. What if it actually does help?

Frozen washcloth regards,
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    For amateurs who handle and spend a lot of time around their litters, I think it's hogwash. But, I do it. What if it actually does help?

Frozen washcloth regards,
    Love you, Howard!!!

I did it with my last litter of pups. I'm a believer!

I've had the same line of hunting dogs (labs) since 1973. Gage is the fifth generation. I breed once per generation for the next in line. Over the years I never formally trained his predecessors. Just some obedience and OJT in the field.

We are both new to the Hunt Test game so I am learning as I am training. I still consider myself a novice but in the first year we had 11 straight passes; NAHRA, AKC and HRC including three NAHRA Intermediate.

I've never seen a dog so eager to learn and to please. At two he has added an HR title and three AKC Senior passes. It is clear to me and by the comments of some pros and experienced handlers that he is a much better dog than I am a handler/trainer. His only three fails were unquestioned handler errors.

If I were to breed again I would absolutely do the "Super Dog" program again.