The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food or Tattoos?

Default Food or Tattoos?

Well, this is really interesting. One has to think that along with the money we provide people perhaps we should also require classes in decision making. In the photo, I'm pretty sure that I see a case of bottled water. I believe that most municipal water is safe to drink and a lot cheaper than that bottled stuff. If you feel that you must buy bottled water, at least buy the gallon or five gallon bottles. Why do they have rotten vegetables in the fridge? They both work in grocery stores. They should buy their produce as needed instead of all at once on the firs of the month. It really annoys me to see people use their lonestar card to buy expensive, wasteful foods and then use their cash to buy cigarettes or beer, and the idea that they can afford tattoos is just really offensive.

http://m.newsbusters.org/blogs/brent...etween-food-an
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I do not spend 518 dollars a month on groceries and that includes buying baby formula and diapers and wipes, and we buy plenty of soda and random junk. Considering a container of formula is 35 bucks and lasts around 7-8 days we rack up some costs and still do not spend that much. Am i supposed to be spedning more on food?
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Glavich View Post
    I do not spend 518 dollars a month on groceries and that includes buying baby formula and diapers and wipes, and we buy plenty of soda and random junk. Considering a container of formula is 35 bucks and lasts around 7-8 days we rack up some costs and still do not spend that much. Am i supposed to be spedning more on food?
    Like I said, perhaps we should require some "shopping" classes in order to qualify for food assistance. I abhor the idea of a "nanny" state, but it is clear that many of these people on assistance simply lack the skills (or knowledge) needed to make good decisions. Instead of just handing them money and letting them loose, perhaps a bit of education on how to make basic choices would be helpful. They used to teach this stuff in public school in classes called "home economics". I wonder if they even have those classes anymore.

I really still think that people on assistance should have to get their staples at central stores in every town and city where there would be a limited selection of wholesome, nutritious foods like in season vegetables, cheaper cuts of meat, dry beans, rice, surplus milk and cheese, etc.
    Last edited by HPL; 03-20-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

No shopping choices period! You get a card that you call the grocer ahead of time and they put your box together. Cash for clothes no way, same thing everyone gets the same shoes, shirts, coats,pants,etc...

An in law was on assistance along time ago and the first thing he bought when he got his first job was a pair of shoes and a hat.

I had a neighbor that would always ask for some money to buy food for their kids and we would help them out even thou we would go with out at times. One time I told them I would give them 50lbs + of meat for free all they had to do was help butcher the deer. Husband and wife said they couldn't do it. That was the last time I was willing to help them out. And to add to HPL's they always seemed to have beer and cigs while I lived on rice a roni lol.

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Like I said, perhaps we should require some "shopping" classes in order to qualify for food assistance. I abhor the idea of a "nanny" state, but it is clear that many of these people on assistance simply lack the skills (or knowledge) needed to make good decisions. Instead of just handing them money and letting them loose, perhaps a bit of education on how to make basic choices would be helpful. They used to teach this stuff in public school in classes called "home economics". I wonder if they even have those classes anymore.

I really still think that people on assistance should have to get their staples at central stores in every town and city where there would be a limited selection of wholesome, nutritious foods like in season vegetables, cheaper cuts of meat, dry beans, rice, surplus milk and cheese, etc.
    Ditto ! You get my vote !
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Well, this is really interesting. One has to think that along with the money we provide people perhaps we should also require classes in decision making. In the photo, I'm pretty sure that I see a case of bottled water. I believe that most municipal water is safe to drink and a lot cheaper than that bottled stuff. If you feel that you must buy bottled water, at least buy the gallon or five gallon bottles. Why do they have rotten vegetables in the fridge? They both work in grocery stores. They should buy their produce as needed instead of all at once on the firs of the month. It really annoys me to see people use their lonestar card to buy expensive, wasteful foods and then use their cash to buy cigarettes or beer, and the idea that they can afford tattoos is just really offensive.

http://m.newsbusters.org/blogs/brent...etween-food-an
    Your Kidding Right????????
    Those on Pubic Assistance don't give a damn about Choices, they are parasites living off the Host; Tax Payers.
    They see what they get as an entitlement that is due them and until this place implodes it won't change. When cokes are on sale you can see them swipe the Cajun Visa card and load them into a new Caddy CTS. Fridays just wouldn't be the same without some Kang Crab and Salmon on the Cajun Visa. The grocery lobby loves those atm cards and will fight tooth and nail if you try to change the parasites buying habits. Beans, rice, powdered milk, oatmeal, vegtables, should be the only items paid for with our tax $$$$$$$$$$.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Your Kidding Right????????
    Those on Pubic Assistance don't give a damn about Choices, they are parasites living off the Host; Tax Payers.
    They see what they get as an entitlement that is due them and until this place implodes it won't change. When cokes are on sale you can see them swipe the Cajun Visa card and load them into a new Caddy CTS. Fridays just wouldn't be the same without some Kang Crab and Salmon on the Cajun Visa. The grocery lobby loves those atm cards and will fight tooth and nail if you try to change the parasites buying habits. Beans, rice, powdered milk, oatmeal, vegtables, should be the only items paid for with our tax $$$$$$$$$$.
    I'm actually right there with you. Beans in combination with rice or corn form a complete protein. Plenty of people all around the world live on meatless diets and if you add some vegetables (collard greens and cabbage are both healthy and cheap) one can have a pretty balanced diet and may not suffer the diet induced problems people with more money to spend on junk suffer. I don't think you can use the lonestar card to buy sodas or chips, but it really annoys me to see "food stampable" stickers on steak and other nice cuts of beef.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

The law in Louisiana is cold food only But, if they boil the crawfish and put them in the freezer.........presto, they become cold food and Cajun Visa eligible. Now, crack a Benny on a couple of Mickey's and we in bidnezz on da poch.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    The law in Louisiana is cold food only But, if they boil the crawfish and put them in the freezer.........presto, they become cold food and Cajun Visa eligible. Now, crack a Benny on a couple of Mickey's and we in bidnezz on da poch.
    Really, folk can't use the cards to buy dried beans, rice, fresh veggies, etc? Only frozen stuff?
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

Really, folk can't use the cards to buy dried beans, rice, fresh veggies, etc? Only frozen stuff?
    The food stamp cold food only means that it excludes things like that yummy hot roasted chicken from the deli section and other such items, not that it must be frozen food.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI