The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Food or Tattoos?

  1. #21
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    [QUOTE=HPL;1085078]
    I will say that it sounds like the folks in front of you were having a little kids party and it is kinda hard to begrudge them that, but my mom served us Kool-aid and made our birthday cakes (much cheaper).[/QUOTE
    Buy a cake mix and a can of frosting. This was one large decorated sheet cake and numerous large round cakes! And still I don't believe that taxpayers should pay for any birthday party period. That is a luxury end of story. I don't want children to starve but birthday parties are a whole other story. Oh, and maybe those adults should have been at the very least speaking ENGLISH!!!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  2. #22
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    HPL,
    Off the birthday rant I also keep a supply of 16 oz water on hand and a case of that was actually one of my purchases, but, I am using my money to buy that water not the taxpayers. We have a well and the general rule is 4 cases always on hand. Often we use the cold bottles in the fridge and unless we grabbed it to go, it gets refilled with good chemical free well water and placed back in the fridge. I will confess that having grown up on well water I will not by any choice drink city water. BUT during the 2 years I had to deal with city water, I dragged my gallon jugs up the street to my parents house in the country and filled them up.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    No banana and mayo sandwiches? We ate a lot of those in South Cackalacky.
    No one has mentioned cold, fried potato sandwiches. Mama fried home grown potatos almost every day of her adult life while I was growing up. Most of those potatos had been browned on at least one side. A little mustard from the jar and the right kind of bread on a hot Summer day and that is a great snack. It's almost as good as potato salad. When all the grown ups are in the field and lunch is slow in getting cooked .......yum.
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  4. #24
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    No one has mentioned cold, fried potato sandwiches. Mama fried home grown potatos almost every day of her adult life while I was growing up. Most of those potatos had been browned on at least one side. A little mustard from the jar and the right kind of bread on a hot Summer day and that is a great snack. It's almost as good as potato salad. When all the grown ups are in the field and lunch is slow in getting cooked .......yum.
    YUCK!! My stomach is churning at just the thought. Growing up Sunday breakfast always included fried up leftover potatoes but it was always just too greasy for me. OH and I always had to yell don't fry my English muffin in the bacon fat. I will toast it, thank you very much!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    YUCK!! My stomach is churning at just the thought. Growing up Sunday breakfast always included fried up leftover potatoes but it was always just too greasy for me. OH and I always had to yell don't fry my English muffin in the bacon fat. I will toast it, thank you very much!
    LOL. Well Mama's way of frying potatos did not leave much grease at all. I don't remember there ever being greasy residue on them. I have often wished for her skill at that. When I try I do have greasy potatos. The thing is that Mama never started with anything but fresh raw potatos ( think good french fries ).
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  6. #26
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    LOL. Well Mama's way of frying potatos did not leave much grease at all. I don't remember there ever being greasy residue on them. I have often wished for her skill at that. When I try I do have greasy potatos. The thing is that Mama never started with anything but fresh raw potatos ( think good french fries ).
    As a kid french fries were never frozen but always made with fresh raw potatoes and there was a special french fry pot used. But any left over potatoes, say an uneaten baked potato turned into these suposed great breakfast fried potatoes (sliced up and fried in the bacon grease by Dad).
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  7. #27
    Senior Member luvalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    LOL. Well Mama's way of frying potatos did not leave much grease at all. I don't remember there ever being greasy residue on them. I have often wished for her skill at that. When I try I do have greasy potatos. The thing is that Mama never started with anything but fresh raw potatos ( think good french fries ).
    Try the following: Use a well-seasoned pan; use a little more heat, cook a little more quickly; don't move them around too much--they will stick, but then they will un-stick when they are done.

    I love fried potatoes. Two eggs over easy, plenty of pepper. Mmmmmmmmmm.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

  8. #28
    Senior Member roseberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    1,922

    Default

    your mom probably fried them in lard if they were not too greasy. i love mushy, greasy, onion and fried potatoes. put them taters on a plate with pork seasoned pinto beans(thick soup) and crusty buttermilk corn bread, sweet tea with lemon.......all you ever need!
    john mccallie

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    Try the following: Use a well-seasoned pan; use a little more heat, cook a little more quickly; don't move them around too much--they will stick, but then they will un-stick when they are done.

    I love fried potatoes. Two eggs over easy, plenty of pepper. Mmmmmmmmmm.
    Thank you. I think that Mama used a ( solid ) vegetable shortening and I have been using various kinds of oil. One of Sis' daughters is doing some 'stir fry' anymore and she seems to be a good cook ( she uses oil and I'm guessing it is olive oil more often than not ).
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  10. #30
    Senior Member luvalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Thank you. I think that Mama used a ( solid ) vegetable shortening and I have been using various kinds of oil. One of Sis' daughters is doing some 'stir fry' anymore and she seems to be a good cook ( she uses oil and I'm guessing it is olive oil more often than not ).
    You could try olive oil and butter together, my go-to for anything generic American--taste of butter, hard-oil quality, oil keeps the butter from burning.

    Roseberry--I live in/near a large Mexican population and the local Kroger has started to stock lard very obviously--I am more afraid of high fructose corn syrup than any fat out there, one of these days I'm going to just buy it.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •