The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food or Tattoos?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    The food stamp cold food only means that it excludes things like that yummy hot roasted chicken from the deli section and other such items, not that it must be frozen food.
    That is how it is here in VA as well, it can be prepared for them to eat on the spot is what it comes down to. 7/11 takes the SNAP cards along with several other gas station type stores. They were trying to get them to be used at fast food but I am not sure if that change passed or not.

Oddly the big complaint was that SNAP users were being forced into bad diet decisions by using the card at all, because they could buy frozen dinners etc instead of healthy foods or ingredients to make food. On another note when my mother worked retail food stamp users in the area where she worked would come in and buy the vanilla extract by the basket full to drink it and get drunk because it has some alchohol in it. Here is a link talking about it, many many threads in various places about people doing it.
    http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid...44158598,d.dmg
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

on another note i belive the goverment is the biggest enabler (sp) of drug and booze abuse in the country if it was use drugs or starve we would be a winner either way they would either quit and be employable or starve and die.

most of you are too young to remember the "commodity program". this program preceeded food stamps. those needing assistance went to the distribution points monthly in their counties. you got oatmeal, beans, rice, peanut butter(oil on top must be stirred, def not jif or perter pan), large cans of meat(spam like stuff), canned chicken and the wonderful "gubment cheeze". this was a freaking program you could live on......but definitely one you wanted off of.

my mom had a part time job through the county commission where she would go into disadvantaged homes with recipies and instruct the white trash, mercury outboards, temp out of work and old people how to use the "commodities". she was required to try these recipies at home before "taking them "on the road".

nothing ever impressed upon me the importance of a work ethic like stirring the oil off the top of my own damn peanut butter!!!!!!!!!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    most of you are too young to remember the "commodity program". this program preceeded food stamps. those needing assistance went to the distribution points monthly in their counties. you got oatmeal, beans, rice, peanut butter(oil on top must be stirred, def not jif or perter pan), large cans of meat(spam like stuff), canned chicken and the wonderful "gubment cheeze". this was a freaking program you could live on......but definitely one you wanted off of.

my mom had a part time job through the county commission where she would go into disadvantaged homes with recipies and instruct the white trash, mercury outboards, temp out of work and old people how to use the "commodities". she was required to try these recipies at home before "taking them "on the road".

nothing ever impressed upon me the importance of a work ethic like stirring the oil off the top of my own damn peanut butter!!!!!!!!!
    I ate quite a bit of that cheese and peanut butter gorwing up, both were very good at least that is how I remember it. There was some pineapple juice stuff I think as well.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Guess I grew up with a silver spoon in my mout, we had fried baloney sammiches for lunch all summer.
    Just Win

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post
    No shopping choices period! You get a card that you call the grocer ahead of time and they put your box together.
    Really, fellas, we're in the electronic age ... those grocery store computers are "programmed" each week to change the prices on specials; to compute which items are subject to sales tax, etc. There's no reason why they could not be programmed to allow only approved items to be put on the food stamps debit cards.

All the grocery stores have those "bonus card" thingies, so the shopper's bonus card could be programmed as well for "approved" items.

It would be SO easy to do this. And no cash back over $1.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

you guys are just too old and don't understand the next generation after you. welcome to the new world.

[/tongue in cheek]
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

I was at Sam's today. The cart in front of me paid by EBT. OK, so what, some of you may say. The cart was full of HiC juice boxes, bottled water, and many cakes from the bakery. A large decorated sheet cake and at least 4 other cakes. Nothing else. NO REAL FOOD! That is where our tax money went. Meanwhile, I, the actual federal taxpayer has the next stop on the errand list the grocery store that has ham on sale, butt cut for 89 cents a lb. I bought 4 and put 3 in the deep freezer. What's wrong with this picture?
    I would love those on the left to explain why this crap is allowed.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

A couple of weeks ago our local HEB had whole chickens for $0.88/ limit 2, I bought two a day for five days and ran out of room. I also bought the biggest ones I could find. Back before Christmas salmon went on sale for $4.00/lb ($3.00 less than normal) so I bought 25lbs and borrowed a friend's food saver. Whole pork loins went down to $1.97 so I bought 2 and cut them into 6 roasts and used the food saver there too. Am planting tomatoes and green beens this week so will have my own fresh (real) tomatoes. Always look at the weekly specials and also look for "marked down for quick sale" stickers. I'll admit that I'm not a "super shopper", and if I am going to be in the field a lot as I am this spring, I will buy the 16 oz water bottles by the case (easy to through into the freezer over night and then have cold water during the day).

I will say that it sounds like the folks in front of you were having a little kids party and it is kinda hard to begrudge them that, but my mom served us Kool-aid and made our birthday cakes (much cheaper).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Guess I grew up with a silver spoon in my mout, we had fried baloney sammiches for lunch all summer.
    No banana and mayo sandwiches? We ate a lot of those in South Cackalacky.
    Bill Davis