RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Started VS Junior

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Pupknuckle 
#1 ·
This has probably been covered time and time again, but I am thinking of running the BIG D test next month, closes tonight. I have been giving this some serious consideration. I have never participated in an AKC HT before. I have heard they can be more challenging than the HRC Started tests. How so? What makes them more difficult? Are they consistently harder or it depends on who is setting up the tests? What do I need to know before entering or going?

#2 ·
I did AKC for the first time last year after only doing HRC. Major differences I noticed is there will be flyers in Junior which is kind of a big deal. Land marks were similar in distance and placement but with the added flyer. Also water marks do not have to be in the water in AKC they can be make the dog swim across the water get out the other side and cover land to get the bird. I had about half and half. As far as distances I found them similar. Also there is the delivery to hand in AKC. Hope that helps

#3 ·
You have to wait to release your dog till judges tell you to, the ones i have ran they tend have longer marks and can land in higher cover, in started the dog has to see the mark hit the ground. And akc at least the ones i ran didn't seem to worry about it one of my marks landed over a hill. Also i ran one test where 1st mark was live flyer on land secound mark was on water. Next series 1st was water next was land. Get some live flyers and get your dog used to picking up cripples. Some what harder but still fun. I had only ran hrc so i also was worried about it but i'm pretty sure my dog didn't know it was a akc test instead of hrc

#4 ·
My experience was different than the other replies. I have never seen a live flyer at a junior test. Not to say some clubs don't use them in junior but I didn't see any until I started running senior. I didn't see much difference between the started and junior tests. As stated by the folks above: wait for dog's number to be called, delivery to hand, possibly more complexity in the form of longer distances, more cover, more terrain change, etc. Only thing I would add is no shot from the line, all shots re fired in the field.

#6 ·
The biggest difference is the requirement to deliver to hand. The other issue is the flyer. Young dogs will focus on the holding blind that just threw the flyer. Turning that dog to the other station can get interesting.

A birdy dog that gets into the flyer station may not want to leave all the live quacking, flapping birds. Train for it and you will be fine.

#7 ·
Distances can go to 100 yds; delivery to hand; birds must be visible in the air, not necesarily to the ground; no shot at the line (one less thing to worry about); and no choke collar or slip lead allowed once you are out of the holding blind. If your pup is trained to reliably deliver to hand and will retrieve a cripple should you be lucky enough to get a flyer - or 2 :) - go for it and enjoy. Let the marshall know you're a newbiey, (you won't be the only one), pay attention to the judges' instructions, and have fun.
Good luck.

#12 ·
Things that are different between AKC and HRC;
Don't talk to your dog after signaling for the mark.
Don't release your dog to make the retrieve until the judge either calls your dog's number or DOG.
No slip leads between holding blind and line.
Must deliver to hand. This fails more dogs than anything I have seen.
Marks will be visable all the way to the ground.
Prepare for a possible cripple ... or a badly shot up bird on the flyer station.
Tell your marshall and the judges it's your first test....I try to make sure a newbie understands what we need to see.
HAVE FUN..........

#16 ·
Things that are different between AKC and HRC;
Don't talk to your dog after signaling for the mark.
Don't release your dog to make the retrieve until the judge either calls your dog's number or DOG.
No slip leads between holding blind and line.
Must deliver to hand. This fails more dogs than anything I have seen.
Marks will be visable all the way to the ground.
Prepare for a possible cripple ... or a badly shot up bird on the flyer station.
Tell your marshall and the judges it's your first test....I try to make sure a newbie understands what we need to see.
HAVE FUN..........
The marks may or may not be visible all the way to the ground. IIRC the book says visible at the top of the arc and on the way to the ground.

#15 ·
As stated already no slip lead to the line, but you will bring the dog to line on a lead so make sure you can clip a lead to the collar. If not you can slip the slip lead under the collar and hold like a reg lead. No Camo necessary. You can wear pretty much any dark cloths. AKC has gotten very relaxed on clothing, nothing like the past. I ran a Master test last fall with the judges wearing red plaid flannel. I thought that was a little extreme and you should wear some kind of hunting attire at least as a judge. No one will hassle you if you wear blue jeans either.

#17 ·
I ran BIG D Jr in the past and they didn't have flyers.
Don't talk to the dog after calling for the bird.
You don't need to wear Camo.
Wait for the judge to tell you to send the dog.
Make sure to get the bird before touching the dog.
Another big difference is if you don't pass you don't get to go on to the other next portion of the test. So if your dog won't go into the water and the water portion is first you don't get to do land.

#18 ·
Howard I am placing the MARKS>>>>>>>LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.