The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: A Couple of Days in the City

Default A Couple of Days in the City

During the rainy season here we get a lot of water, a little over 48" on average. Where we live drains a good sized watershed that is is mostly unbuildable so the storm water will stay fairly clean with lots of little frogs to attest to that. So a pond was in order & one of the local pond gurus came & gave me some pointers. It's a pond with a lot of features that you can build on when you go off property for training. & I can regulate the depth of the water. It does dry up from August till rainy season starts again for maintenance.

Yesterday eating breakfast I am watching about about 100 some odd honks land in flights of 10 to 30 - they would circle above the pond & without moving forward much would hover down the 50 to 60 yards they were above the pond. Mixed in with the 50 or so Widgeon that pass through in the spring & the many mallards plus other little guys it was a real pond full. As we go out to do the morning exercise for the dogs the pond erupts, seems a juvenile baldy decided there may be a meal in the pond. Fortunately for the ducks he was unable to maneuver through the features so ended up empty clawed.

This morning just after day break I take Mini out for her morning constitutional. She immediately goes into the routine she uses to signal something is amiss & watches. I finally see the Elk herd North of our property & for the next 20 minutes we are treated to the Elk passing through. All cows right now but will calve shortly & up the herd about 50%.

Nothing like living in the city with your own wildlife park .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    During the rainy season here we get a lot of water, a little over 48" on average. Where we live drains a good sized watershed that is is mostly unbuildable so the storm water will stay fairly clean with lots of little frogs to attest to that. So a pond was in order & one of the local pond gurus came & gave me some pointers. It's a pond with a lot of features that you can build on when you go off property for training. & I can regulate the depth of the water. It does dry up from August till rainy season starts again for maintenance.

Yesterday eating breakfast I am watching about about 100 some odd honks land in flights of 10 to 30 - they would circle above the pond & without moving forward much would hover down the 50 to 60 yards they were above the pond. Mixed in with the 50 or so Widgeon that pass through in the spring & the many mallards plus other little guys it was a real pond full. As we go out to do the morning exercise for the dogs the pond erupts, seems a juvenile baldy decided there may be a meal in the pond. Fortunately for the ducks he was unable to maneuver through the features so ended up empty clawed.

This morning just after day break I take Mini out for her morning constitutional. She immediately goes into the routine she uses to signal something is amiss & watches. I finally see the Elk herd North of our property & for the next 20 minutes we are treated to the Elk passing through. All cows right now but will calve shortly & up the herd about 50%.

Nothing like living in the city with your own wildlife park .
    Marvin, are you out in the Buckley area?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Marvin, are you out in the Buckley area?
    In the Dogpatch area of the city .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!