The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with doubles.

Default Problem with doubles.

Hi I am new to the webstie.But just wanted to join and get some good info on training my Yellow Lab Male. He is 12 weeks old on the 21 of March. I have him working doubles now. But He wants to try and pickup both dummies at the same time. How do I stop him from doing that? Thanks for the help. Retired

Oh my ,12 weeks old.... Well ,slow down, he is 12 weeks old.Other than that, put him on a rope and have the double 180 degrees apart
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Retired,
    Based on your question you need to learn a bunch of stuff quickly. I suggest clicking on this link and ordering the Sound Beginning puppy training DVD.
    It will be a very big help guiding you through the proper things to do with your puppy. It begins with puppies the same age as yours so getting it now would be better than waiting.
    Cheers
    http://www.ybsmedia.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=66
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Retired,
    Based on your question you need to learn a bunch of stuff quickly. I suggest clicking on this link and ordering the Sound Beginning puppy training DVD.
    It will be a very big help guiding you through the proper things to do with your puppy. It begins with puppies the same age as yours so getting it now would be better than waiting.
    Cheers
    http://www.ybsmedia.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=66
    I could not agree more, I have about a dozen lab training DVDs but it all started with Sound Beginnings.
    Terry C.

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

Sunny Dee Light MH QAA (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea, Derby Dog (Crude)

What I have done over the years is to use the corner of a building or fenced in area with the 90 degree angle. Right throw first, left throw second. Never had that problem. Next, I reversed the throws and always enforced which bird/bumper I wanted retrieved first. This worked for me.

Later, I would use a wooded area as the division.
    Bob Samios
    Hillock's Hot on the Trail CGCA, JH, RN, BN
    MACH Hillock's Bonny Broom CDX, RE, MH, XF, MXS, MJS, MXP, MJP, WCX, CCA, VCX, CGCA
    Hillock's Magical Forest Walk UD, RE, MH, MX, MXJ, MXP, MJP. WCX, VCX (2002-2011)

I should of said he does the 180 degree great. It is the doubles that I throw together that he has the issue with. I will looking into the video. I did buy evan graham puppy program. Guess I need to look at it again. Thanks Retired

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    It is the doubles that I throw together that he has the issue with
    so they land in the same spot?
    don't do that.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

OH,
    And Welcome to the RTF retired.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Stay the course here and you will learn. Get a puppy training dvd. Best money you will ever spend. Get it before you mess up that pup of yours.

Welcome to RTF
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Hi I am new to the webstie.But just wanted to join and get some good info on training my Yellow Lab Male. He is 12 weeks old on the 21 of March. I have him working doubles now. But He wants to try and pickup both dummies at the same time. How do I stop him from doing that? Thanks for the help. Retired
    Retired

I would guess that every person's puppy is different. I myself did not ask my puppy to do doubles at 12 weeks of age. I didn't even bring her out into the field yet (vet's advice,re immunity). Maybe you should adjust your pace.

What makes you think this is the right pace? My opinion is that many push their puppies because of what they read on here. In fact I think that Bridget Bodine's thread WAITING TO COMPETE IN FIELD TRIALS might contain some food for thought.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."