The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, why not eat horses?

Default So, why not eat horses?

What is the big deal about eating horse meat?
    tied to the desk here and tv on in background talking about the horsemeat in europe thing.
    packs labeled as beef had a % of horse added. Now that is bad and not the point of this. But it got me wondering why dont we eat horsies here? are they not good? Like wild goat or something?
    are they poison?
    side note, is the old urban legend of "Philly Cheese Steaks" being not from Philly but made with fillies true?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

i could never eat horse meat it gives me the runs

Sort of the same objection as folks would have to eating dogs, after all, they do eat dogs in some asian cultures. As an aside, I've had bobcat which was actually pretty good, certainly milder and sweeter than venison or duck and sort of makes me wonder what some of the stray cats in the area would taste like.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Was watching Andrew Zimmern the other day on TV. He was in Italy and exploring some of their horse meat dishes and butchers. Seemed like the Italians really value the horse meat. I ate horse (or possibly Donkey) in Amsterdam once as part of some traditional stew dish. It was really tasty and a great cure for the munchies!

On another note, I was Studying Lewis and Clark a few years back and was surprised that they preferred dog meat over fresh fish and some of the other foods. The Indians used to get upset that there were no dogs left in camp after the expedition left.
    Erik B.

Sounds like we've been eating it all along... Just didn't know it. Heck, I've eaten wild game of very sort and it was fine. It's just the emotional thing that the media drives that makes it a big deal.
    Bill Davis

I think the main issue is that they didn't know they were eating horse. It's one thing to go out and request a slab or horse but another to order some beef only to find out after the fact that it was horse. That and the emotional attachment to the animal itself.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel J Simoens View Post
    I think the main issue is that they didn't know they were eating horse. It's one thing to go out and request a slab or horse but another to order some beef only to find out after the fact that it was horse. That and the emotional attachment to the animal itself.
    I think you are correct it has more to do with no knowing and the attachment. Several countries eat horse and other animals that we do not eat here in the States, to me it is the same as people who love to eat duck, but won't touch a Coot, when there are plenty of people who eat it. Or people who swear by eating crow and others get sick thinking about it.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

I don't have a problem with it. Don't think I've ever eaten it, but it wouldn't bother me. I think the problem many people have with eating horsemeat is a sub-set of the "Disney Syndrome". They think of them as people in fur coats, like they're portrayed in the movies.

Having spent an entire day inside the old Cavel plant in Illinois (slaughter for European consumption), I have first had experience with the process.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I had a girlfriend in college that would not eat Venison... Of course I am a deer hunter so that created a little issue. On my birthday my grandmother had dinner at her house for the family and of course my GF was there. On the menu was pot roast with veggies etc... She had seconds... We all had a good time till after dinner Granny let it slip that the "pot roast" was Venison! GF gives me the hairy eyeball... And was mad for who knows how long... Jeez! She had seconds!
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I had a girlfriend in college that would not eat Venison... Of course I am a deer hunter so that created a little issue. On my birthday my grandmother had dinner at her house for the family and of course my GF was there. On the menu was pot roast with veggies etc... She had seconds... We all had a good time till after dinner Granny let it slip that the "pot roast" was Venison! GF gives me the hairy eyeball... And was mad for who knows how long... Jeez! She had seconds!
    Where is she now???????
    Stan b & Elvis