The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So, why not eat horses?

From "Little Big Man";

Old Lodge Skins
    : Let's go back to the teepee and eat, my son. My new snake wife cooks dog very well.
    Jack Crabb: All right, Grandfather.
    Old Lodge Skins: She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying.

Tip. don't order the 'special'. Order off the menu...
    Last edited by JDogger; 03-21-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    I heard someone on the news talking about most horses not being raised "for consumption", something about injection s and meds used on them that can effect people somehow. I have my doubts to that being valid but I have no idea for sure.
    I as well, on public radio. wonder what they shoot um up with?
    or if it is just race horses and not the old mare in the back 40?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I as well, on public radio. wonder what they shoot um up with?
    or if it is just race horses and not the old mare in the back 40?
    Well my vet told me that the female greyhounds from a certain kennel had gotten so they could not whelp the puppies. Got to be lots of c-sections. He was of the opinion that the ( raw ) beef that was fed to those dogs was the problem. He said that the cattle were being given drugs that he was sure was causing the problems. Not sure if it was calves or grown cattle that he was talking about. I always figured he would know more than most people about that subject
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Because I've always owned horses, I don't think I could eat horsemeat. But, it doesn't bother me if others choose to eat it. I know in Europe there is one breed of horse (cannot remember name right now) that is bred specifically for meat. Even the tree huggers/PETA types admitted that the banning of horse slaughter in the U.S. backfired big time because it took away an option for disposal of unwanted horses that had the effect of causing more suffering as many of them simply starved to death or lived out painful lives because it is not a cheap thing to have a horse PTS and then dispose of the carcass. It's expensive: $300 or more for the vet visit and $400 or more to hire a back hoe to dig a hole and that's if you own your own land and it's not banned to do so in your county. Otherwise you have to wait for a renderer to remove the carcass and that too has gone up to $400-700 depending on where you are. Since the ban went into effect, I and other people I know with farms, get offered free horses almost daily from people that can no longer care for them. Not all are retired old horses, either.

As for the average horse not being fit for human consumption: just about every drug I give mine, from wormers to anti inflammatories, antibiotics, pain killers, etc., has a big warning right on the label: Not to be used on animals intended for human
    consumption. Some of the local hunt clubs around here used to feed horsemeat to their hounds, but those clubs cannot use horses that have been euthanized by lethal injection nor that have had any drugs given to them recently.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 03-24-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981