The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floating Bumper Boy?

Default Floating Bumper Boy?

Has anyone made a contraption that could/would float a Bumper Boy?

I was thinking of making something so I could put them out in the middle of a large pond or river bay to do marking training. That way I could do realistic water training in areas where shorelines aren't conducive to setting them up for realistic marks.

I was thinking of getting a plastic "packer" box from Wal-Mart, putting foam insulation in the bottom, and screwing an eye-hook thru the bottom and sealing it with marine adhesive so I can hang my anchor line from.

But if someone on here has already done something, please share some pics.

Thanks.
    JoKen's Sir Lucas Bartholomew - "Lucas"
    Tallmadge's Miss Eloise Lucia JH - "Ellie"
    HR Tallmadge's Spirit of Light SH - "Boggs"

BootsOnGuideService.com...Putting fowl in your face with their "Boots On."

Wink

Hmmm...floating a $600 piece of electronics in a homemade box while launching a 2 pound projectile out of it. Can I watch?

P.S. Are you really from Tennessee and hiding in New York? Just kiddin'...kinda'

Redneck Engineering Reguards,
    Last edited by Duckquilizer; 03-21-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I would look at using a platform that's very wide and stable. And I'd try to find a pool to do my testing in so I could stand next to it while it fires in case it capsizes. Personaly I have no place I'd want to launch from the water like that and I'm to scared to place my most expensive eqiupment in harms way.

No pics but a training partner made up a floating platform out of PVC pipe (4" or 6" I don't remember) and plywood that we used to float a winger. Plenty stable but kind of a pain to haul around and tow behind a canoe. Need a couple anchors to keep it pointed in the right direction.

Wouldn't an old, rough, small flat-bottom boat work in either case? Even one of those small marsh sleds or small layout boat would work. A winger would sit in a 10ft FB great and a 2 shot bb would sit right in a marsh sled sideways, so it would fire out the front or back(not sideways due to tipping). Just ideas...
    Kendall Layne

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Dog View Post
    Has anyone made a contraption that could/would float a Bumper Boy?...

please share some pics.

Thanks.
    YES!...

next question?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Marsh sled wouldn't be bad. Could transport all your stuff in it to the water too. I'd probably fasten some pool noodles along the sides just in case

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/spo/3693064822.html

That came to my mind first. Find an old round one that people give away and put a floor in it. Otherwise, I think you're going to wrong route. For strick hunt purposes, you need to get the dog to look "UP" and scan. I think putting your bumper boy up in a tree with an extension ladder over the pond would be a much better idea.

Just watch and remember- those HRC guys are going to steal my idea. They'll have a bird launched from a float tube in the water and a winger up in a tree. That would be more realistic hunting than sitting on plastic buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post

Just watch and remember- those HRC guys are going to steal my idea. They'll have a bird launched from a float tube in the water and a winger up in a tree. That would be more realistic hunting than sitting on plastic buckets.
    it's been done.
    Years ago at a NAHRA Field Test, the upland portion flush. Grounds had a deer hunting stand 10 ft up a thick white pine. They put the crate of chuckers and a teenager up in it. When dog passed a spot the kid chucked a chucker and one of the judges shot it. It was a wicked fun test.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/spo/3693064822.html

That came to my mind first. Find an old round one that people give away and put a floor in it. Otherwise, I think you're going to wrong route. For strick hunt purposes, you need to get the dog to look "UP" and scan. I think putting your bumper boy up in a tree with an extension ladder over the pond would be a much better idea.

Long as I can point my 2"x4" at it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    it's been done.
    Years ago at a NAHRA Field Test, the upland portion flush. Grounds had a deer hunting stand 10 ft up a thick white pine. They put the crate of chuckers and a teenager up in it. When dog passed a spot the kid chucked a chucker and one of the judges shot it. It was a wicked fun test.
    Now that's AWESOME! LOL
    Kendall Layne