The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Floating Bumper Boy?

The first thing that comes to mind is how much of a pain it is going to be to re-load that 2 shooter !!! drag boat back in, re-load shooter, somehow get boat back out to same spot and shoot same direction !!! (unless of course you have another person siting in boat)

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    Hmmm...floating a $600 piece of electronics in a homemade box while launching a 2 pound projectile out of it. Can I watch?

P.S. Are you really from Tennessee and hiding in New York? Just kiddin'...kinda'

Redneck Engineering Reguards,
    Yes I would like to watch as well. Might work?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is how much of a pain it is going to be to re-load that 2 shooter !!! drag boat back in, re-load shooter, somehow get boat back out to same spot and shoot same direction !!! (unless of course you have another person siting in boat)
    I've got four 4-shooters and two 8-shooters. No need to re-load until I'm done training for the day.

Gonna put out and pick up with my boat.

Gonna do a test run in the pool first.
    JoKen's Sir Lucas Bartholomew - "Lucas"
    Tallmadge's Miss Eloise Lucia JH - "Ellie"
    HR Tallmadge's Spirit of Light SH - "Boggs"

BootsOnGuideService.com...Putting fowl in your face with their "Boots On."

my otter II ice fishing sled worked great

Well here we go. Here it is. The first one completed. Gonna test it out, and if it works, I'll make three more for my other Bumper Boy 4-shooters. I'm gonna test it out with some weight comparable to what a Bumper Boy weighs. That way if it doesn't work, I won't have a messed-up 4-shooter on my hands.

It is pretty cumbersome. But I figure I'd just stack em in the boat. I'll only need them for boat training days. Gonna paint em black if it does work.

image-3223206444.jpg

image-3526012116.jpg

image-1374415525.jpg

image-2629000850.jpg

By the way, there is foam floatation between the two boards sandwiched together an there's foam floatation in the black plastics packer. Also, the bungees are loose....need to get shorter ones before it gets used. I'll keep you posted.....
    JoKen's Sir Lucas Bartholomew - "Lucas"
    Tallmadge's Miss Eloise Lucia JH - "Ellie"
    HR Tallmadge's Spirit of Light SH - "Boggs"

BootsOnGuideService.com...Putting fowl in your face with their "Boots On."

When they first came out I think there was a innertube looking thingy.....Only problem was the bumper boy hardly ever worked !!

Make a pontoon with pvc and plywood.

Plywood and blue insulation foam. Plywood should to provide something solid to tie down the BB so it doesn't slide around and foam should provide the flotation. I'd want it tied down to the float pretty darn well so it didn't slide off during recoil. Anchor fore and aft so it was always pointing the same direction for all the dogs.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I took a large truck tire inner tube, tied a chunk of plywood on top and have used that with zinger winger uplanders to do marks. works well, and very stable with a big tube. i use two decoy weights tied off at 180 degrees to keep the launch in the proper direction. i would think that would work just as well with a bumper boy. cost about $25 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    a few years back at one of our club tests up here the judges had a like need.
    This is what they used as a "floating bumper boy"
    I had to hold down my 5-gal pail of bumpers with me feet.

Looks like throwing a bumper could cause the vessel Dubbed "The USS Bora" to capsize if throwing too hard. Or maybe if the dog tried to board the ship it could cause problems.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~