The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retrieving... is it just that?

Sorry Bama...I wasn't very clear in my question. What I meant to ask, is do you want your Lab to quarter and flush the quail, or walk at heel and retrieve shot birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keene View Post
    Sorry Bama...I wasn't very clear in my question. What I meant to ask, is do you want your Lab to quarter and flush the quail, or walk at heel and retrieve shot birds.
    Think I knew what you meant. Would prefer him to learn both. My plan is to shed hunt more than bird hunt. I assume quarter and flush would help his shed hunt training. And by quarter and flush do you mean hunt the wind so the dog smells the bird or quarter left and right as you walk a field?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keene View Post
    Also what's more common for a lab to do?

I've never trained a dog to pick up sheds, so I can't give much insight into that behavior. However, I've taught retrievers to quarter and flush upland birds. With many Labs, this is an inherent trait and is easy to teach. It's a play on the "hunt dead" command...I just use different verbal cues. I use planted pigeons (first dead, then "dizzied") dropped or planted in a field with moderate cover. Get the dog out in front of you, but keep him within 10-20 yards. Let him find a few and make a big deal of it. It doesn't take long for him to understand that he should be looking for these "things". When you progress to live pigeons, I prefer if the pigeon flushes on it's own, but frequently the dog will retrieve them before they get airborne. If you've got access to an Upland launcher, all the better. When the bird flushes, use your "sit" whistle if you want him to be steady to shot. If his sit whistle is less than stellar, use a check cord. If I were to teach a dog to hunt sheds, it would be similar to this (obviously minus the flushing part). I've seen Shed Hunting training kits available, but suspect you could easily teach this concept if you've got sheds of your own. I would try and limit any human scent, or your dog may simply be looking for objects that smell like you.

Quarter and flush is probably more common, but there's also a contingent that will pick up with the retriever, while a Setter and Pointer may actually be working in front of it. In this case, you want the dog walking quietly at heel, then sent on the downed bird (may be either a blind or mark).
    Last edited by Kirk Keene; 03-21-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: adding text

Once he figured out the game this guy would go crazy when I picked up the pellet gun. You would have swore he was sitting on the mat watching a flyer.. QAA squirrel dog..

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Once he figured out the game this guy would go crazy when I picked up the pellet gun. You would have swore he was sitting on the mat watching a flyer.. QAA squirrel dog..

Haha... That's awesome!