The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pro plan

Default pro plan

ive a got a 8 week blm, the breeder fed the purina pro plan. I am also feeding that but am debating on maybe switching foods after the bag is gone. If i would change it would be a slow change of course. My question is, how good is this food? what are some other great foods? Just seems like pp has lots of fillers, maybe im mistaken, but its what i have been hearing from some friends. Thanks for the help

loran

Quote Originally Posted by Loran Marmes (JR) View Post
    ive a got a 8 week blm, the breeder fed the purina pro plan. I am also feeding that but am debating on maybe switching foods after the bag is gone. If i would change it would be a slow change of course. My question is, how good is this food? what are some other great foods? Just seems like pp has lots of fillers, maybe im mistaken, but its what i have been hearing from some friends. Thanks for the help

loran
    Alot of people are die hard pp feeders and I use to be too. If you look at the ingridents your right a lot of corn as one of the main ingridents. I myself just switched to Dr. Tims, you can buy online from petflow for the same price as proplan but its a bigger bag. Hope this helps. And they ship it free to your house.

Lots of good products out there with research to support the positive aspects of each and just as many opinions. I've used Pro Plan for my labs for 8 years. Nothing but good results for me and the dogs. Pricey, yes, but recently been doing the petco discounts. Last bags purchased got about 10.00 off per bag. Do your homework and pick the one best for you based on what you believe. Everything else is basically a testimonial just like my first three sentences.... Good luck!
    Last edited by mnadams; 03-21-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    Labs are the greatest; truly man's best friend!
    Home of HRCH Gator Points Chocolate Chip II
    HRCH KC's Bustin From the Blind

Last time I looked Chicken was listed as the first ingredient in Purina Pro Plan Life Stages.
    I feed less get better stools. Used to feed Iams and Diamond.
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

I switched from PP to Fromm Large Breed Puppy the day my pup came home.

I've had very good luck with PP, and my Vet recommends it.

Loran, Their are probably many brands to choose from in your area. I am a big CANIDAE fan, feeding an All Life Stage 24/14 food to large breed pups for slower growth. Their are several stores in your home town that sell CANIDAE and probably a whole lot more. Farm & Fleet on Main St. would be the first place I would go. Check out the Canidae line of foods at
    http://www.canidae.com/ Tractor Supply is another place to look too. They are a big Diamond dealer. Diamond Naturals is good food too. Eagle Pack is another to check out. http://www.eaglepack.com/ Pidder Padder Paws Inc on Summit Ave.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

I look at it a few different ways. First off, if your breeders is using ProPlan, I would look at this as a good sign (just as I would for Euk, or other top end type foods), and it has been proven to do good for those lines.

Secondly, ProPlan is a very good food, and much better than say Purina puppy chow.

I personally put my pup on ProPlan at an early age. I tried switching to something else after about a year, but did not have good results (more waste, stopped eating it at one point, etc), so I went back to ProPlan and have not looked back.

I do not see any reason to change from ProPlan because it is a good quality food. As I said before, if it was Purina Puppy Chow, then maybe I could see a change, but it is not.

Regarding so called "fillers", you may also find this article interesting . . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...7_story_1.html

I used Pro Plan for almost 30 years and recently switched to Fromm Adult formula for my Labs.....best decision I have made for the boys.