RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

pro plan

8K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  Tim Culligan 
#1 ·
ive a got a 8 week blm, the breeder fed the purina pro plan. I am also feeding that but am debating on maybe switching foods after the bag is gone. If i would change it would be a slow change of course. My question is, how good is this food? what are some other great foods? Just seems like pp has lots of fillers, maybe im mistaken, but its what i have been hearing from some friends. Thanks for the help

loran

#2 ·
ive a got a 8 week blm, the breeder fed the purina pro plan. I am also feeding that but am debating on maybe switching foods after the bag is gone. If i would change it would be a slow change of course. My question is, how good is this food? what are some other great foods? Just seems like pp has lots of fillers, maybe im mistaken, but its what i have been hearing from some friends. Thanks for the help

loran
Alot of people are die hard pp feeders and I use to be too. If you look at the ingridents your right a lot of corn as one of the main ingridents. I myself just switched to Dr. Tims, you can buy online from petflow for the same price as proplan but its a bigger bag. Hope this helps. And they ship it free to your house.

#3 · (Edited)
Lots of good products out there with research to support the positive aspects of each and just as many opinions. I've used Pro Plan for my labs for 8 years. Nothing but good results for me and the dogs. Pricey, yes, but recently been doing the petco discounts. Last bags purchased got about 10.00 off per bag. Do your homework and pick the one best for you based on what you believe. Everything else is basically a testimonial just like my first three sentences.... Good luck!

#7 ·
Loran, Their are probably many brands to choose from in your area. I am a big CANIDAE fan, feeding an All Life Stage 24/14 food to large breed pups for slower growth. Their are several stores in your home town that sell CANIDAE and probably a whole lot more. Farm & Fleet on Main St. would be the first place I would go. Check out the Canidae line of foods at
http://www.canidae.com/ Tractor Supply is another place to look too. They are a big Diamond dealer. Diamond Naturals is good food too. Eagle Pack is another to check out. http://www.eaglepack.com/ Pidder Padder Paws Inc on Summit Ave.

#8 ·
I look at it a few different ways. First off, if your breeders is using ProPlan, I would look at this as a good sign (just as I would for Euk, or other top end type foods), and it has been proven to do good for those lines.

Secondly, ProPlan is a very good food, and much better than say Purina puppy chow.

I personally put my pup on ProPlan at an early age. I tried switching to something else after about a year, but did not have good results (more waste, stopped eating it at one point, etc), so I went back to ProPlan and have not looked back.

I do not see any reason to change from ProPlan because it is a good quality food. As I said before, if it was Purina Puppy Chow, then maybe I could see a change, but it is not.

#12 ·
The breeder of our youngest dog - now 13 mos. said to feed Pro Plan Performance (All Life Stages) and we have. She has thrived on it. Had a male that did real well on PP Sensitive Skin and Stomach. We've used Eukanuba (don't like it), Canidae (they changed their formula), Iams and Innova. I think it depends on the individual dog. Our trainer does use Pro Plan.

#14 ·
I've fed nutro, taste of the wild, and another high protein food that I can't remember the name of. I fought loose stool since the day she came home on all 3. Granted her coat looked great and she was trim, but the stool bothered me. Switched to PPP and her stool firmed up. Still looks great and has been performing great since the switch. I'm sticking with PPP.

#18 ·
thanks for all the input and help everyone. just trying to make sure im doing the best i can to take care of my boy.:) I did look, and was a little surprised that on dogfoodadvisor.com PRO Plan is rated at 3 stars out of 5, does this surprise anyone else? The fromm that few of you mentioned was rated 5 out of 5.

#28 ·
As are most rating sites. People should simply consult breeders, trainers, hunters etc etc for opinions on dog food. And look at the manufacture concerning the number of recalls they may have had.

There is no one source that can give you an absolute answer as to the best dog foods.

#24 ·
I switched from PP to Fromm this past Fall
And yes coats are much improved. Energy level is good as well
Even my fussy girl does not give me flack on this food as she did on PP

I have it delivered from a cmpany on line via Fed X. No shipping or tax but I am sure that cost is included in the price. Just looks real good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.