The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Have some questions about Hunt Test ????

Default Have some questions about Hunt Test ????

I still have a while before my pup is ready, and planning on going to a test to watch and see how it's done in May ! But I just have some curious questions !!!

Is there a minimum/or maximum age limit before you can enter a dog into the Junior/Started test ?

Also I have read many on here say to train close to 1 level higher than your going to compete, so with that said, were does a pup need to be along in his training to compete in the Junior/Started hunt test ?

At first I had no intrest in entering hunt test, but the more I have read and watched it looks like a great time !

Just for conversation sakes, and for my general knowledge were should my pup be as far as training, and hunting ability to compete at the Junior level ?

Thanks in advance !!!!!

There is no age limit for Started. However, a dog has to be at least 6 months old, to enter any AKC performance event.

The rest of your questions cannot be answered. You need to get out and train with people that have been-there-done-that.
    That's the only way that you will figure it out.

I would recommend reading the rules. Should help answer most questions.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

The rules help but being new to it myself I know it's hard to get started in without knowing someone that's doing it but best place to meet people that do it is at the events , the hrc have puppy events sometimes that's what I did signed my 9 week old pup up went to the event talked ask questions ,watched the events, to see just where he needed to be or know before signing up for test, but remember what a pup does on one on one training at home doesn't mean he will do same thing after being locked in crate all day waiting his turn with people and other dogs all around watching him so any chance you get to train with others or around lots of stuff going on take the opprtunity to do so.
    But pretty much for jh your pup will need to be able to make 4 single retrieves up to 100yds two on land and two water retrieves , and the ones on water it will probably have to go through water and retrieve bird from other bank , with decoys in water could see a live flyer they throw up and shoot , and it has to deliever to your hand can't drop on ground near you oh yeah you can hold collar to steady the pup .
    And your right it is alot of fun and you meet lots of good people with same or similar intrest.
    Good luck!

Flip - you are in Middle TN, correct? Our Middle TN club hunt test is the weekend of May 17th. It would be a great time to come out and meet some folks and watch some of the dog work!
    Tracy Hughes - Crimson Kennels
    www.crimsonkennels.com

Jessica's Chocolate Cait, MH
    Mosby's Big Jake, MH
    Tubby's Maxximum Trouble, MH
    Double G Cosmo's Dream Girl, MH
    Crimson's Coriander Dream, MH
    Johnson's Redwind, MH
    Crimson's TNT By Design, MH
    Crimson's Black Powder Girl, MH

Quote Originally Posted by flipinnpitchin View Post
    I still have a while before my pup is ready, and planning on going to a test to watch and see how it's done in May ! But I just have some curious questions !!!

Is there a minimum/or maximum age limit before you can enter a dog into the Junior/Started test ?

Also I have read many on here say to train close to 1 level higher than your going to compete, so with that said, were does a pup need to be along in his training to compete in the Junior/Started hunt test ?

At first I had no intrest in entering hunt test, but the more I have read and watched it looks like a great time !

Just for conversation sakes, and for my general knowledge were should my pup be as far as training, and hunting ability to compete at the Junior level ?

Thanks in advance !!!!!
    I bought my dog to be a meat dog. Only had meat dogs for 30 years. Got suckered into running a Junior Hunt Test. Got hooked and went thru to Master. Now have the 5 year old MH, 2 yaer old with 2 Senior passes, and a 10- month old. Oh yeah, and a new chassis mount to be picked up Monday. I think I'm hooked!
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

HUGHEST= That's the one I am planning on coming too !! Thanks !

I bought a 1.5 yo started yellow male from lee of wrl, as a buddy and duck hunting partner.
    I got talked into going to last fall's ht held near me.
    Trap passed his first 2, and will run again the end of April to hopefully get his last 2 and his Jr title.
    After 112 ducks and 39 geese this season, I can see where ht test training will help with hunting.
    He will run Sr this fall. I have all the confidence in him to go thru master.

Oh, did i say i wasn't interested in doggie games?
    Yeah, run one, and you'll get hooked just to see how good your dog will do.

Enjoy the addiction. (big grin)