The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Feeding Question

What do you think my boy will end up weighing? Sire was 85 lbs of muscle and the dam was pretty muscular herself at 65 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas2256 View Post
    What do you think my boy will end up weighing? Sire was 85 lbs of muscle and the dam was pretty muscular herself at 65 lbs
    What I've read on the boards is that a good rule of thumb is to double the pups weight at 4 months old and that'll put you in the ballpark of full-grown weight. So your pup will likely be around 80 pounds by the sounds of it.

my CLM is 5 months old & 45lbs and on 4 cups of Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Vet loves the shape he is in and he also seems to want to eat everything as mentioned above - even rocks!!! Stools are good. He was on 3.5 cups just moved to 4 a few weeks ago now that days are longer and he is getting more exercise and work.

My pup is a week shy of 5 mths, I feed him 2 cups in the morning & 2 in the evening. He was 39.6 lbs when I took him to the vet a mth ago, I haven't weighed him recently. When I increased his each time I did it by 1/2 cup until he was used to it.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

Quote Originally Posted by J_Brown View Post
    Looks like you're right in the ballpark according to that chart. I've been feeding my pup Dr. Tim's Kinesis and it recommends much less than some other foods. My BLF is a week shy of 4 months and she's getting 1 cup at 6 am and 1 cup at 6 pm. Yes she acts hungry sometimes but how many pups don't? She's nice and trim and full of energy. If I feed more than that she tends to have loose stools so I'm sticking with what's working. She's also quite a bit smaller than your CLM, though... She's only about 23 or 24 pounds right now.
    1c twice day, is all some will eat ,but by 4 mos IMO they need double that. or close- I never want to see ribs on a pup or a dog- remember, they need to grow... and they need food to do it..
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    1c twice day, is all some will eat ,but by 4 mos IMO they need double that. or close- I never want to see ribs on a pup or a dog- remember, they need to grow... and they need food to do it..
    For a dog between 20 and 40 pounds, the feeding instructions on Dr. Tim's Kinesis suggest only 1 - 1.75 cups per day. Are you saying I should ignore the recommendations on the bag? I mean, I can understand a company suggesting more than necessary in order to sell more product, but how often does a company suggest less than what's necessary?

The bag suggestions are just that- if your pup is in good condition, then youre doing something right. Ribs are too skinny for me though
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Just moved my little 5 month YLF up to 4 cups a day, 2c in the morning and 2c in the evening. She was doing good on 3 c a day but she's extremely active, we've been training regularly and she started looking a bit too thin.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    The bag suggestions are just that- if your pup is in good condition, then youre doing something right. Ribs are too skinny for me though
    Thanks for your suggestions. I bumped her up to 2.5 cups. After thinking about it, the weather has gotten a little bit nicer and I've been running her slightly more than normal. She's a thin pup but you really can't see her ribs.

My pup is going on 3 months next week. I feed a heaping 1/2 cup 3 times a day (which is about a total of 2 cups a day per the Pro Plan Focus chart), and she gets treats throughout the day. I think she would eat nonstop forever if it were her choice. She is about 20 pounds right now. She looks good and not overweight. Her mother is about 63 pounds. I was going to feed twice a day by four months, feeding 3 cups per day then. I think you are feeding right on target. 4 cups seems like a lot to me; how much does his father weigh?