The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Derby Triples

So Bon, are you agreeing that it is an exercise in futility to want to take part in the sport in any way if you are not rich or blessed by part of the country you can make your living in? Well, I'd say that pretty well puts the print to the page in the obituary of field trials. Surely there is some way to make it more inviting, not by dumbing down but getting more out of less space? I don't begin to claim to know the answer, but I sure would like to keep playing. Bet there are others too.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    So Bon, are you agreeing that it is an exercise in futility to want to take part in the sport in any way if you are not rich or blessed by part of the country you can make your living in? Well, I'd say that pretty well puts the print to the page in the obituary of field trials. Surely there is some way to make it more inviting, not by dumbing down but getting more out of less space? I don't begin to claim to know the answer, but I sure would like to keep playing. Bet there are others too.
    I do not agree its an exercise in futility...take my brother for example..He can afford to play the game, he has access to some good/very good grounds within minutes of the house, he is a better trainer now than he was decades ago...BUT there is one thing he cant produce and that is TIME..he has to juggle a busy medical practice that finances the habit, a wife that encourages and supports his hobby,and two pre teen boys that deserve a full time dad..if they ever invent a 30 hour day, he is golden....

I also dont think you need to be rich....but you have to be selective and creative with your discretionary income...when we were poor starving college students we pooled our finances, we didnt run Derby's or Quals because they didnt carry any championship points...if we couldn't afford to double stake the dogs (Open/Amateur) we would enter Judge in the Open and Rex in the Amateur, and the minute one would get qualified for a National they wouldnt trial again till just before the national...

The balancing act is to live in a part of the country that allows you to train/trial at least 9 months of the year and to have some sort of access to grounds during that time..We aren't competing with other people's wealth, we are competing with the ability to get maximum ROI on your own finances and training
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"