The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

View Poll Results: Are you a good ambassador to the retrieving sports?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Ambassador?

49 94.23%
  • Poor Ambassador?

3 5.77%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you feel you are you a good ambassador to the retrieving sports?

I like Ted's answer. I've been at this for a couple decades. AKC longer than HRC. Don't do trials, but I'd like to in the future.
    I have judged, served as club officer, board etc. Worked tests in every capacity. I have tried to mentor newbies only to see them lose interest, although one now serves as club president and HT chair.
    The last few years I have used the services of a pro. Something I would not consider 20 years ago. I remember a line from Tom Quinn; "I sometimes train with people I dislike or mistrust, but I don't make it a habit." These days my wife and I mostly train on our own, but I do make my training grounds available.
    I just brought home a new pup. Hopefully she won't be the last.

In the middle regards, JDogger
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

if talking bad about my training partners' and their dogs' shortcomings makes me a poor ambassador........then i suck!

nothing more fun than giving folks "the business" when they are having a bad day. in a good natured way obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!
    john mccallie

I think if everyone does a little we can do a lot. I am a Field Rep for the Hunting Retriever Club, I try my best to encourage growth of the sport, training dogs as conservation tools and encourage all to get involved. But I agree there are others doing a lot more behind the curtain so to speak.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

I will step up and admitt that I am a horrible ambassador.

I am selfish, I want my time that I have to be for me,, and use that time to train MY dog.
    I dont want to join a club, untill I have a dog that I can run confidently in tests,thereby, forfieting weekends I could spend trainig, instead of lugging wingers, lunches, birds,ect all over creation..

There , I said it!

I wiil, if asked about local clubs, recommend several I have been a member of in the past, even though I may have left with a sour taste in my mouth.

I have come to realise I have turned into a Grumpy selfish old coot..

Gooser

I am VERY happy with Flinch,

Gooser again.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 03-23-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I will alway throw birds for the people I train with,, but it sucks having to listen to what a puss I am when I throw!

Again,,,, Just a grumpy old coot.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Dear Grumpy Old Coot, welcome to the club! It has been fun, but aging SUCKS. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

I'm a terrible ambassador, laugh at people & dogs, talk more than train, don't share my booze, so they just take it, love to pull practical jokes, am loud, opinionated, and generally cantankerous. Yet people still keep coming out, I'll never understand it
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I will alway throw birds for the people I train with,, but it sucks having to listen to what a puss I am when I throw!

Again,,,, Just a grumpy old coot.

Gooser

I feel I can do better. I try to help folks in our club as I've been helped. I'm mentoring a 16 yo with her dog. I do say good luck to my fellow competitors and MEAN it. If they beat me that day then one of 3 things: 1-They were a better team that day, 2-I failed in some capacity with my dog, 3- or both. With that said, is it bad when you silently cheer when someone ahead of you, and by that I mean done a better job to that point, struggles in the next series? It feels great to be able to outlast people you know are very good at what they do with their dogs. If they do better I'll stick my hand out and congratulate them. It's hard work to succeed and we all want to win. Only one can win so you take your chances and do your best and smile when it doesn't work out.

we still put up with the old coots throwing

with all the jawing he does alright and he can throw for me anytime.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

I think I am a good ambassador. Sure I like to share the success that I have with my dog. But I always root for other dogs. I may not like all the handlers but I do like all the dogs. I even have volunteered to work at AKC retriever trials and they won't even let me run my dog in their hunt test. I belong to two HRC clubs and have been a board member. I donate my time to the clubs. I have also donated goods for raffles and I have acquired donations from retailers for auctions. I have let kids run my dog at HRC events.
    UH HR Brandywine Sue MH