RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Are you a good ambassador to the retrieving sports?

Do you feel you are you a good ambassador to the retrieving sports?

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Im_with_Brandy 
#1 · (Edited)
With all the politics going on in the retriever games lately, and the failed economy. It got me thinking about the future of the retriever sport. Will this sport be around in the next twenty to thirty years? Am I doing the right things to promote the sport and to ensure it's around for my grand children to enjoy?
Good ambassador.
1) Do I introduce new people to the sport?
2) Do I do my best to help other people train their dogs?
3) Do I congratulate people when their dog has a great performance?

Poor ambassador.
1) Is training all about me and my dog?
2) I don't want anyone else's dog to perform better than mine.
3) Do I talk about other people and their dog's short comings.

Take some time to reflect how you conduct yourself. And if you’re doing everything you can to ensure the sport is around for generations to come.

#2 ·
I don't think that anyone will actually take ownership for being a poor ambassador. There are plenty out there but self-recognition and change are not their strong points. I think that everyone can work harder at being "good".

#3 ·
I know 99 percent of the people won't take ownship for thier actions. And maybe a poll wasn't the way to go about it. But I want people to start thinking about how they affect the sport. Due to several reasons people aren't joining in this sport and there is a real need for the people in this sport to conduct themselves as good ambassadors. Don't give people another reason not to join the retrever games.

#4 ·
I think most people are in-between. I know I am. Sometimes, I am good. Sometimes, I am bad. Most times, I am in the middle.

#6 ·
My take. In addition to bragging about your dogs all the time and how they are doing in the selected arena one should

#1 join a club and be active
#2 when club has a training session, work not just be a USER as most do
#3 at a test or trail be part of the solution and work not just RUN
#4 get involved more deeply, maybe start judging or be a rep at AKC meetings and stay well informed and make sure your cohorts in crime are also well informed.
#5 brag about retrievers anywhere anytime politely

BTW if you are a USER or a RUNNER then your validity in the sport is suspect to all newcomers even if you gave years before they were born.

Then you might be a good ambassador but I am sure there are many more options.

#7 ·
When I think of what a good ambassador of the sport is: I think it is someone who gives their all to the sport, they contribute their time,their land, they serve on both local and National club committees, they mentor, they encourage, they judge, they compete,they show humility when they win, they show class when they lose..I think of Raymond Goodrich, Tony Snow, Sal Gelardi...and although I have never met them I have been told that men like A.Nelson Sills and Oscar Brewer would embody the criteria of what I think an ambassador to the game is

I am a fan,a student and afficianado of the game,I like the dogs and enjoy the characters..I do not aspire nor do I see myself as an ambassador type

#8 ·
I can answer yes to the first two. I will be perfectly honest about the third there are certain people I do not concratulate on their dogs performances. It all boils down to their attitude and sportsmanship. For the second three I have learned that a dog is a dog some days she's a champion others not so much. As to talking about other peoples dog's shortcomings, mine has enough to keep me busy. It is kind of like talking about other peoples' kids. Don't go there.
We do a lot training with people who are very green. They set the goals for their dog and we try to get them there. One of our newest couples just want to see the dog run out and pick something up. I was a little worried that even this was going to happen but last weekend she picked up bumpers and Dokkens with no problem, now coming in that was another story. Most people would not give this couple the time of day but we want all retriever people to enjoy their dog no matter what.

#11 ·
I like Ted's answer. I've been at this for a couple decades. AKC longer than HRC. Don't do trials, but I'd like to in the future.
I have judged, served as club officer, board etc. Worked tests in every capacity. I have tried to mentor newbies only to see them lose interest, although one now serves as club president and HT chair.
The last few years I have used the services of a pro. Something I would not consider 20 years ago. I remember a line from Tom Quinn; "I sometimes train with people I dislike or mistrust, but I don't make it a habit." These days my wife and I mostly train on our own, but I do make my training grounds available.
I just brought home a new pup. Hopefully she won't be the last.

In the middle regards, JDogger

#12 ·
if talking bad about my training partners' and their dogs' shortcomings makes me a poor ambassador........then i suck!

nothing more fun than giving folks "the business" when they are having a bad day. in a good natured way obviously;)!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 ·
I think if everyone does a little we can do a lot. I am a Field Rep for the Hunting Retriever Club, I try my best to encourage growth of the sport, training dogs as conservation tools and encourage all to get involved. But I agree there are others doing a lot more behind the curtain so to speak.

#14 · (Edited)
I will step up and admitt that I am a horrible ambassador.

I am selfish, I want my time that I have to be for me,, and use that time to train MY dog.
I dont want to join a club, untill I have a dog that I can run confidently in tests,thereby, forfieting weekends I could spend trainig, instead of lugging wingers, lunches, birds,ect all over creation..

There , I said it!

I wiil, if asked about local clubs, recommend several I have been a member of in the past, even though I may have left with a sour taste in my mouth.

I have come to realise I have turned into a Grumpy selfish old coot..

Gooser

I am VERY happy with Flinch, :):):)

Gooser again.

#15 ·
I will alway throw birds for the people I train with,, but it sucks having to listen to what a puss I am when I throw!

Again,,,, Just a grumpy old coot.

Gooser

#18 ·
I feel I can do better. I try to help folks in our club as I've been helped. I'm mentoring a 16 yo with her dog. I do say good luck to my fellow competitors and MEAN it. If they beat me that day then one of 3 things: 1-They were a better team that day, 2-I failed in some capacity with my dog, 3- or both. With that said, is it bad when you silently cheer when someone ahead of you, and by that I mean done a better job to that point, struggles in the next series? It feels great to be able to outlast people you know are very good at what they do with their dogs. If they do better I'll stick my hand out and congratulate them. It's hard work to succeed and we all want to win. Only one can win so you take your chances and do your best and smile when it doesn't work out.

:grin:we still put up with the old coots throwing:grab:

with all the jawing he does alright and he can throw for me anytime.

#17 ·
I'm a terrible ambassador, laugh at people & dogs, talk more than train, don't share my booze, so they just take it, love to pull practical jokes, am loud, opinionated, and generally cantankerous. Yet people still keep coming out, I'll never understand it ;)

#19 ·
I think I am a good ambassador. Sure I like to share the success that I have with my dog. But I always root for other dogs. I may not like all the handlers but I do like all the dogs. I even have volunteered to work at AKC retriever trials and they won't even let me run my dog in their hunt test. I belong to two HRC clubs and have been a board member. I donate my time to the clubs. I have also donated goods for raffles and I have acquired donations from retailers for auctions. I have let kids run my dog at HRC events.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.