The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Putting Deposit on First Hunting Pup *Pedigree*

I just bought a black male from barb at white oak. From what I saw while I was there they really care about their dogs. Not just oput to make money. I am very pleased with the pup we got. I would recomend them to anyone. For what its worth.

I don't think you can go wrong with whiteoak, especially with what your wanting/looking for. When I was looking for a pup I had talked to Barb quite a bit via email. She was more than willing to answer any and all questions that I had and also sent me names and phone numbers of folks for references. I haven't heard a bad thing about them or their dogs and they do really seem to care about them and where they go.

I did a breeding with Captain Morgan this last year and all the pups turned out excellent. All but two went to hunters and they couldn't be happier with their pups. Only draw back was the male pup I kept is a bit sensitive but is trainable.

FYI this breeding is a total out-cross and the outcome of such breedings are less predictable than a line breeding of knows.
    Not that it won't suit you needs, just sayin'.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    FYI this breeding is a total out-cross and the outcome of such breedings are less predictable than a line breeding of knows.
    Not that it won't suit you needs, just sayin'.
    Can you elaborate on this? Not exactly sure what you're saying...

Are you saying that it's a less predictable litter because the dogs in the pedigree aren't well-known? I'm not trying to insinuate that you're wrong, just not sure what you mean by "out-cross" and "line breeding of knows." Sorry, I'm new to all this lol.

What does (BLK-BY) mean ? First time I have noticed this.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

See the following article that defines out-cross (no common relatives) vs. in-line breeding.

http://www.kirbymountainkennels.com/...practices.html
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 03-24-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Not to butt in, but i bought a started dog from lee of wrl, and couldn't be happier. Trap is a wonderful mellow dog, smart as all get out, and a hunting machine.
    I think your focusing on pedigree more than what you will end up with as a family member, and buddy.
    Really none of my business, but i didn't check papers first. I saw pics of the parents and talked to lee alot.
    Talking to her is what made me go with a dog from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    See the following article that defines out-cross (no common relatives) vs. in-line breeding.

http://www.kirbymountainkennels.com/...practices.html
    Thanks. Yea, I believe out-cross breeding should be fine for my applications. I'm not looking for a hunting champion, just a loyal friend that will retrieve birds and enjoy fishing trips with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Not to butt in, but i bought a started dog from lee of wrl, and couldn't be happier. Trap is a wonderful mellow dog, smart as all get out, and a hunting machine.
    I think your focusing on pedigree more than what you will end up with as a family member, and buddy.
    Really none of my business, but i didn't check papers first. I saw pics of the parents and talked to lee alot.
    Talking to her is what made me go with a dog from her.
    I agree with you. Honestly my focus on the pedigree is just to optimize my chances of getting a dog that loves to retrieve birds. I originally payed no attention to pedigrees ( or health clearances for that matter) but after speaking with all the nice folks here on this forum, they convinced me I should search a little deeper and make sure I gave myself the best chance for a strong, healthy, birdy dog. If I decide to go with this litter, I feel that it should be able to meet all my expectations WITH PROPER TRAINING ON MY END. 80+% of any dog's life isn't actually spent hunting, so it's important to me to have a good family pet. However, that other 20% of the time that we are out in the fields or on the water, I want him to be able to take care of business as well.

Exactly.
    I got everything i wanted in trap.
    Calm, quiet,goes everywhere with me, doing doggie games now, and absolutely goes nuts over ducks.
    He has a great on and off switch.
    I didn't want a hyper dog. I didn't get one. All by talking to lee.